Tracker 2 recall

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found this online this morning and have a call into BCA canada about this looking for more info. I figured I would share this if it hasn't been already been reported. I do not know how old this recall is but my beacon was bought last dec new and it has verson 3.

BCA has recently started shipping a new version of software for our Tracker2. The new software (version 4) addresses an issue discovered by the Jackson Hole ski patrol and alpine guides in a fleet of 182 beacons purchased in mid-November. Several of the Jackson Hole units have inadvertently entered our opticomm reprogramming mode. As a precautionary measure, we have replaced the Jackson fleet with version 4 units, which addresses this concern. We will analyze their original fleet to determine the extent of the problem.
The Jackson Hole patrol and guides have been using Tracker beacons for ten years and tested Tracker2 samples last season. Their heavy usage patterns have enabled us to identify potential improvements early in the process and implement them in production. In this instance, they played a role in the recognition of a problem and alerted us about them.
The problem the units experienced caused them to occasionally go into opticomm mode inadvertently. Opticomm is a programming mode which is used to download new software through our optical communication window on the front of the unit. When the Tracker2 is in opticomm mode, it does not transmit. Normally this mode is activated by disconnecting and reconnecting one of the batteries while the unit is attached to our opticomm reprogramming accessory. However, it appears that this mode is occasionally being triggered by a buildup and discharge of static electricity.
Out of thousands of Tracker2′s shipped since production started last January, we have had reports of 10 units that have malfunctioned in this manner. We have received five other units that have shown similar symptoms, however, they have not been verified to have stopped transmitting. We are currently researching the extent of the issue and hope to make a conclusion shortly.
If your Tracker2 occasionally reboots while it is off or in transmit mode, then it is experiencing a power interruption. This is always accompanied by an audible beep. (This should not be confused with the warning beeps that sound when the beacon is left in transmit or search mode for extended periods of time.) After a power interruption, the Tracker2 will usually return to the mode it was in: search, transmit, or off. While the issue of power interruption is not a major concern, we hope to determine if the issue of entering opticomm mode is significant enough to warrant a corrective action. In the meantime, we are offering free upgrades to our version 4 software. This software version provides additional safeguards against inadvertently entering opticomm mode.
To determine if you already have version 4 software, disconnect and reconnect one battery while the unit is off. After displaying "t2," the unit will then display the software version. If the display reads "r04," then you have the most recent software. This software has been included in all Tracker2 units shipped since late December.
We apologize for this complication and are working diligently to analyze and rectify the issue. If you would like to upgrade your Tracker2, please contact BCA at info@backcountryaccess.com or (303)417-1345 and we will provide you with a return authorization number. Thank you for your patience and support.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I bought mine at the calgary sled show last year. Just took out battery and it flashes R then 03. hummmm i will look forward to the more info you get from them.Please update us when they get back to you.Thanks.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure, the way i'm reading this is, version 4 has more safe guards to help prevent the problem, so all other versions could give trouble, it also sounds like they don't know why this is happening so they are offering a free upgrade to help prevent it.
I'll have to wait and get more info. My dealer is also looking into this as well, I've never noticed my beacon acting up. i just want more info from BCA.
Ill post my findings when I get in touch with someone. or if someone else get more info before me feel free to report your findings.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they had a beacon have an issue from what i understand by a ski patrol that was packin the beacon in his pocket not the pouch it comes with. This reflash was issued last year. It is a free upgrade of software and they have a very quick turn around time. The did the reflash as a proactive thing. They found the issue with static build up causing issue very limited and only when carried in a pocket and never saw an issue when carried in holster beacon is sold with.. But recommend getting the reflash done just to prevent any possibility that an issue could arise. Plus the way i look at it is if any beacon manufacturer came out with new software id want the newest software anyways.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
How are you able to check to see what version the beacon is?

If you read the info provided buy caper11 in the very first post you would know.:d

Quote= To determine if you already have version 4 software, disconnect and reconnect one battery while the unit is off. After displaying "t2," the unit will then display the software version. If the display reads "r04," then you have the most recent software. This software has been included in all Tracker2 units shipped since late December.
We apologize for this complication and are working diligently to analyze and rectify the issue. If you would like to upgrade your Tracker2, please contact BCA at info@backcountryaccess.com or (303)417-1345 and we will provide you with a return authorization number. Thank you for your patience and support.

Last edited:

teddybear26x

Reaction score
Got this as a reply From BCA today about my tracker 2 with version 3 software

Hello Sean,

Thanks for the email. The easiest way to get the software update is to send in your beacon to BCA. It should only take 1 week from the time we receive the unit until the beacon is sent back out to your address. You will only need to pay for shipping to BCA as the update is free along with the return shipping. We will need you to respond to this email with your contact information (phone, address) so that when we receive the unit we know where to send it back to and who to contact if there is any issues. Please put the RA number located below on the outside of the package with only the beacon, do not include the harness.

RA # >?>?>?>>?

Ship to in US:

2820 Wilderness pl.
Unit H
Boulder, CO 80301

Ship to in Canada:

Box 201
Winlaw, BC V0G 2J0

Please let me know if there is anything further I can do to help.

Best,

Dane Olson

Backcountry Access, Inc.
2820 Wilderness Place, Unit H
Boulder, CO 80301 USA
Phone: 303.417.1345 Fax: 303.417.1625

Top Bottom