Track Tension

Whitecourt_Rider

Reaction score
Looking for a procedure on the right tension for my track (154"). Ski-doo has a video but they show them using a scale. What dou you guys do? Any rule of thumbs i should know? It looks a bit loose and im headed to Mcbride this weekend. Also Alignment tips would be good too.

Thanks

freeride73

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it ratcheting when you are in deep snow? If it isn't you should be ok.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I set mine up with 3/4 - 7/8 drop on a 163 in the center. If I am not mistaken they want 1" drop with 10lbs of force pulling the track down.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for alignment i use a micrometer on the tensioner bolts to get it perfectly aligned. it floats back and forth a bit so as close to center as you can get on the tensioners is the best.

LinkTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for alignment i use a micrometer on the tensioner bolts to get it perfectly aligned. it floats back and forth a bit so as close to center as you can get on the tensioners is the best.

Yep. Fully agree. I carry one with me on the hill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Team Pigeon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've only used a micrometer on thousand dollar turbine coupling bolts and measuring stretch on recip hardware. Not for measuring +-.005 on what should be max 0.125 tolerance. But then again, there's all sorts of people out there.

Why? Your doo bolts aren't built to a spec that would require use of a micrometer.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've only used a micrometer on thousand dollar turbine coupling bolts and measuring stretch on recip hardware. Not for measuring +-.005 on what should be max 0.125 tolerance. But then again, there's all sorts of people out there.

Why? Your doo bolts aren't built to a spec that would require use of a micrometer.

its just an easy way to measure the distance from the head of the bolt to the tensioner bracket. to make sure they are close to the same. has nothing to do with accuracy. if you can get it within 1-2mm thats plenty accurate. using the backside of the micrometer just makes it easy to do. i dont even look at the numbers just lock it in place to set the other side as the same. its just the way i do it. quick and easy. sure you can count threads, use a measuring tape. whatever works for ya i guess.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maxwell.. Go google micrometer. That would be the worst tool to measure the track tensioner bolt length. :confused:

A set of vernier calipers, or any type of distance gauge would be more than enough. A micrometer it for measuring something smaller than the human eye can detect..

its just an easy way to measure the distance from the head of the bolt to the tensioner bracket. to make sure they are close to the same. has nothing to do with accuracy. if you can get it within 1-2mm thats plenty accurate. using the backside of the micrometer just makes it easy to do. i dont even look at the numbers just lock it in place to set the other side as the same. its just the way i do it. quick and easy. sure you can count threads, use a measuring tape. whatever works for ya i guess.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whatever lol. There! Fawk

ama7ujam.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Last edited:

Team Pigeon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$2.99 6" flexi scale from princess auto.

But back to the main question. Improper alignment and tension attribute to that track noise. So getting it dialed- either with maxwells $200 mitutoyo or a pocket scale like mine is key. My old rule of thumb was to tension so she don't ratchet. Not sure if that method works as well?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As I have said before , and looked on a drunken nite , with the flex track and t motion , the track never stays 100% straight, cause the track walks towards the short side or leaning side as the skid moves... Track rubs the sides of the drop brackets right at the top rear skid mount-wheels...

So alignment is a basic set up but never is the same

sent while I should be drinking tea's

Last edited:
Top Bottom