Toy haulers ???

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for a used newer toy hauler. What's good , what's bad , what's ugly.....
lets here your opinions.... Size and brand preferences , it will be hauling just a sxs !

Looking for a fiftwheel as I am not a bumper pull fan. Not interest in a fifty foot long house on wheels either....lol

Some one might have one for sale on here or know of one around !

thanks in advance ...... :beer::beer:

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
12 foot garage is a must.

Yes, I agree 100%, 12 foot garage.

If if you want a high quality, lightest, still with a 12 foot garage, there's only one brand that fits that bill.
I looked around for 2 years until I came across the Evergreen brand, Tesla toy hauler models, and probably the 3212 model.

Good luck in the shopping.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
WE bought an Amped toy hauler. its a bumper pull. And after going camping with some of our friends that have a fifth wheel toy hauler we are so glad that we didnt get a fifth wheel. There so big and they dont offer that much room. The are big, but the way they are laid out is horrible. Yes some people say that they dont want there toy in there living space because of the smell and dirt.. Etc. put once you have it set up, it feels way better than a fifth wheel. Thats just my .02 cents. Amped cam out with some new floor plans. I think there build quility is top notch. Regardless of what you buy, dont get one with an onboard onan generator. There so loud and they vibrate the trailer. if you can buy one with out, get a nice honda 3100 or something. its way better.
i would highly recomend this one!

29FS - Evergreen Recreational Vehicles, LLC. - Manufacturer of Green eco-friendly Everlite RVs

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a bumper pull toy hauler ... the novelty of parking where I sleep wore real fast .... have a 40 ft fifth now and would never go back ... to set up you open the slides in stead of having unload then set up the table and seats, couch and lower the beds. The space you have for everything is unreal

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have had 3 toy haulers in the last 6 years. 2 bumper pulls and now 5 th wheel.

We like the 5 th wheel the best with the garage as a mud room after riding.

Built in generator works really well. But does run at a constant speed.

Last year we started using a 2000 watt Honda for the ice makers and Keurig. So basically we never shut the Honda off as its quiet and in the trees.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I currently run a 2006 Gear Box 40ft fifth wheel. Definitely think that a 12ft garage space is key as well as having 3 axles rather than 2 if the unit is big enough. Just my opinion but with the kind of weight a fully loaded fifth wheel has as well as a SXS and all of that gear it seems like 2 axles is just not quite enough. I am sure they are rated for the load technically but why not have a 3rd and distribute the load further.

I agree with others that an onboard genny is not needed as a nice Honda 3000 will do the job just fine, a 2000 will work but will not run the AC (if that is something you want).

Hydraulic landing gear or electric landing gear with a motor on each leg would be something i would look for. Mine came with electric gear with only a single motor running both legs and it was just not enough to do the job when the unit was loaded up. I changed out the legs and put a motor on each, works much better now.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good point on the landing gear. That is an upgrade I need to do. 1 electric motor is not enough

mlchuk

Reaction score
Coming from an RV background, I very highly recommend having a thorough once over done on any potential used unit you will be looking at. Like any vehicle, some people take care of them and some don't. Check the axles (especially if you are looking at a triple axle), bushings, all suspension, tire wear etc... I have seen neglected units that are over $4,000 just to fix the suspension. Add to that the once over of the actual unit...LP system, water, electrical etc... Verify the GVWR on the trailer and compare it to your truck and then make sure your 5th hitch is compatible. The fifth wheel toy haulers are pricier, even in the used category. There's an RV show coming up in Edmonton, Red Deer and Calgary that will have lots of units on display. Always neat to check it out!

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We did a lot of research before we bought one last year. We wanted a four season trailer just so it good and warm in early winter when hunting and after having a few trailers we were super picky on the layout. I ended up with keystone carbon, basicly their raptor without as many fancy goodies but a lot less money. (didnt really need the sub or outside tv.) The only things i would change would be 12 foot garage instead of 10, i would have electric jacks and i wish there was heat in the garage but i guess none have heat ducted back there and it is easy enough in mine to run one duct. The onan on this one isn't to bad unless you sitting right above it or on that side of the trailer you really don't notice it. Ran it for hours with the new born sleeping on the bed right above were its mounted. (wife wanted to use the camera baby monitor lol)

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And if you want a super big garage they have one with a 17 foot garage. 387.jpg

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a 44 footer last fall, will be the last one I ever buy, the creature comforts are nice but they are so overpriced nowadays, it's crazy . One option I have on out is the hydraulic level up system from lippert, best thing they ever put on these big units imo, push a button and watch it dance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a 44 footer last fall, will be the last one I ever buy, the creature comforts are nice but they are so overpriced nowadays, it's crazy . One option I have on out is the hydraulic level up system from lippert, best thing they ever put on these big units imo, push a button and watch it dance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What garage size did you get?

Bigblack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the cost of these new toyhaulers you could get a 2 year old Class A motorhome and run a nice enclosed trailer for the toys....no gas/mud stink....my 0.02.

Top Bottom