Tires for Safety Inspection??

firecatab

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trying to get a car safety inspection done for my son. What is the ruling for tires, car presently has 225 55r 16 Good Year on the front and 225 60r 16 motomaster on the rear, do they need to be all the same size and make?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
What is the safety inspection........ Insurance or out of province?? You should refer to the door sticker for proper tire sizes. Some vehicles have different sizes on them, so you'll have to check the door, or check a tire fitament guide. What kind of vehicle is it?? Sounds like a Grand am??

firecatab

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is a 92 Monte Carlo and it is for an Insurance inspection to get plates as it is over 12 years old. The garage here wants to install 2 new tires as the front are a different make and size to what is on the back. The front are new and one back motomaster is brand new as it looks like they purchased this account of a flat. I would if possible just like to buy another motomaster and have the same on the back but if they all need to be same make and size then 2 it is

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
The monte carlo in 1992 was actually a lumina z34 vehicle, for the most part. Correct tire listing for the lumina z34 was: P225/60r16, and for the lumina euro: P215/60r16 is the optional 16" wheel size.
I would have to agree, that it should have the same size tires on all 4 corners, however, brands aren't critical, as long as they are same size and speed rating........ It is their license going on the inspection, and i would recomend the same!!!

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
ooops, sorry if I gave some bad advice there...I guess I am stuck in rear wheel drive world, and the good old days when you always ran different sizes front to back.

Not related, but true story...Was just a the tire shop, and young kid comes in complaining about 'strange noises' from his tranny...I know the manager real well, and he tells me to sneak outside and have a look at what the problem might be...

WOW!!! 2010 Dodge truck, looks brand new with big boots on the rear, and tiny little tires on the front, looked like a 85 Chev shortbox...He had just driven from Edmonton to Medicine Hat (550kms) in 4wd...Transfer case was toast...

I had a good laugh for the day!

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I did inspections on the side, I just made sure that the tires had at least 3/32 of tread and weren't worn excessively indicating a wheel alignment(I would check front end steering parts for play as well) on fronts and rears. I didn't make a fuss on front wheel drive tire size versus rears, just made sure that 2 fronts matched and 2 backs matched same went for rear wheel drive.

Different fronts to back has no real bearing unless they are really out of wack, also on some of the older vehicles pre-TPMS they sensed low tires through the abs wheel sensor so it would look like you had a low tire, but it was just a different size. Same goes for replacing one old tire, it would give the same low tire warning.

I would put the 225 60/16 on the front so the speedo will read correct, assuming that is where it is reading from.

Last edited:

smokindiesel

Reaction score
differnt size tires front to rear will have an effect on the brakes porportioning, as in its designed for all wheels to stop the same(or may bias it a little). Differnt tire sizes and brands will stop differntly. Now if you have simmilar treads and same size tires you'd be okay, but mix winter tires with all seasons and it can will have a big effect, may even affect cornering(trust me i've tryed this). If the car is equiped with ABS you will throw it out of whack as the smaller tires will be rotating faster and the large tires rotating slower. most times these effects are minor and we don't notice them, but for an inspection that my name is going on I would call a differnce in sizes, and or a major differnce in tread type. Also if there bald or worn uneven.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would recommend the same size on all corners here for proper handling

firecatab

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, to save further problems down the road he replaced them all with the 225 - 60r -16's he made a deal with his brother on the 225 - 55r - 16's as his Sonoma is need of a couple of tires, won't be the same make but will be the same size.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just in case anyone needs a copy for future reference, here is a form that I have delt with by 3 separate insurance companies including my own.

No where does it mention that tires have to be the same size. It would be the experience of the mechanic to explain to the customer the benefits of having a 4 tires the same,.. and what the pro's and con's are.

Getting personal with your clientele could mean repeat customers.

Top Bottom