Tire upgrade on a Rhino 660

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm mounting a new set of ITP Mudlite XTR's on my Rhino, I've been hearing lots of talk about needing a clutch upgrade to handle the added traction, I'm not going any bigger, just newer and more aggresive.

Any comments on wheather or not this is required?

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
No you shouldn't need more clutch to go more aggresive only to go bigger because you will lose to low end grunt. If the tires are locked in I would rather spin a belt than break an axel. Dont get me wrong clutch kits are good they engage the tires at a higher RPM for more low end grunt but they can come at a price, but you don't need for more aggressive tires

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to hijack this thread but my question is similar. If you went with 27's on the 700 Rhino, would you really need a clutch kit?

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
With 27's I would because when the tires are locked the mud the RPM's can't get high enough to spin them free you would just bog because the clutch engages at a lower RPM and with the extra weight and size of the tire you'll be calling for the hook alot. It is similar to gearing in a truck the bigger the tire the slower the engine turns so you need to put lower gears in to make to tires turn in the opimim RPM range to get the power to ground where there is no bog but when you get the power then the weight of the rotating mass (tires) can lead to broken axles. I get a kick out of a lot of people who put a giant lift and 40" tires on their trucks but never think about gearing so it can go off road just because now it has good ground clearance get it in a little mud and it will fall flat on it's face auto transmission, big tires and prolly a 3.56 or 3.73 rear end, sure it will only turn 1300 RPM's on the hiway isn't that good for gas mileage.....ummm nope take way to much energy to get it up there so you need to get them down to a 4.56 or a 4.88 or maybe even a 4.30 to be effective

Ok i'm done hope that enlightend you...sorry for the ramble

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, I hear what your saying Murmanator. But I'm wonder if the low range would provide the needed power when you get into a heavy mud situation. I'm sure high range wouldn't cut it but usually when you see a bog hole or bad spot coming, you stick it in low range. I put 27's on my 700 KQ and have absolutely no problems getting around with it. In low range I mean. I'm asking these questions because I haven't even been on a 700 Rhino yet but am sure thinking about buying one.:thumbsup2:

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
In low range the clutch still engages at the same RPM if the tires are going to turn it spins them up quicker due to the gear reduction and gets then into the "powerband" quicker than high range

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
my dad had 27s on his rhino and he didnt do a clutch kit till a little later cause he wanted them to engage at a high RPM...and he also put high porformance ignition? in(ithink so anyways)

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So tell me guys. Why does it seem important to have the tires start spinning at a higher RPM? Whenever I was in any kind of deep bog with my KQ I never had issues with the tires not spinning or belt slipping. Would it be because the Rhino is heavier?

Briandublanko

Reaction score
Dean I have a rhino with the 26" XTR on mine and in my opinion i don't think you will need to get a clutch kit. I have no problem spinning these tire in mud. I have tried clutch kits you will get some benefit if you put in lighter weights in the primary. It seems to pull a little harder in the 10 to 30 MPH range. hope this helps.

Top Bottom