Three Decades??? Really???

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
It was stated on Global news that this past weekend storm dumped 30cm of snow (closer to 45cm by onoway) but they also stated that this was the worst winter storm in over 3 decades....

I have not been here for 3 decades and yes it was a very cool storm but has edmonton not recorded 30cm of snow at one time in the past 30 years????

Down east at least once every 2-3 years we'd get a gooder of 45-60cm
White Juan produced an official 95.5cm in Feb 2004 but unofficial reports were up to 150cm for some regions...Now this was an oddity but 45-50-55-Even 60cm was a once 1-2-3 year thing.....

I remember surveying the trans canada pipeline west of edmonton out to Wab in 1995/96 and the snow was nipple deep.....and I was no shorter then than I am now....

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was stated on Global news that this past weekend storm dumped 30cm of snow (closer to 45cm by onoway) but they also stated that this was the worst winter storm in over 3 decades....

I have not been here for 3 decades and yes it was a very cool storm but has edmonton not recorded 30cm of snow at one time in the past 30 years????

White Juan produced an official 95.5cm in Feb 2004 but unofficial reports were up to 150cm for some regions...Now this was an oddity but 45-50-55-Even 60cm was a once 1-2-3 year thing.....

I remember surveying the trans canada pipeline west of edmonton out to Wab in 1995/96 and the snow was nipple deep.....and I was no shorter then than I am now....

your talking about lake effect snow.....much different than system snow like we get

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

but thats still only around 40cm isn't it and that was accumulated snow.:d

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i heard 89 was most recent recorded, 38cm in jan of 89
It was new year's eve when that storm hit up here, I remember like it was yesterday. we were in a 1988 chevy beretta and the snowdrifts on a tree lined secondary highway were as high as the roof of the car, we were following a couple friends in their 4-by's breaking trail.

when i left for work at 6am the other morning in that storm, the drifts in the exact same spot were up to the hood of my 3/4 ton GM in the westbound lane. awesome....I wish it would happen every year :d

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
It was new year's eve when that storm hit up here, I remember like it was yesterday. we were in a 1988 chevy beretta and the snowdrifts on a tree lined secondary highway were as high as the roof of the car, we were following a couple friends in their 4-by's breaking trail.

when i left for work at 6am the other morning in that storm, the drifts in the exact same spot were up to the hood of my 3/4 ton GM in the westbound lane. awesome....I wish it would happen every year :d

When heard about the storm I said the same thing .....

My 1st winter in Edmonton which was '89 we were in a buddies 4x4 making a tracks down 66st towards 137ave and got stuck we got out and walked towards Londonary Mall to get to Woolco to buy a shovel to dig ourselves out. It was a saturday or Sunday not a single vehicle on the road. We stood in the dead center of the intersection of 66st and 137ave watched the traffic lights change dead silence 1 track down the middle 137ave figured on a weekend at 11 am I would never seen that again in my life. Another weird thing the police station was right there and cop cars were stuck and covered with snow and 4-5 cops outside taking turns on 1 shovel trying to dig out a car stuck on the driveway.

Bounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Remember the snow of 89 very well. Our anniversary is Jan 26th and we were on a cruise ship watching people cross country ski to work and roads closed.

Felt real bad and then had another rum in +30 weather....

Top Bottom