the weak layer....

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I would like a lot of S&M members to look at this so I posted it here....

This is an innocent slope, not really rideable, stumps showing, etc. No big deal, but imagine if it were another 500 meters higher! The PWL (the persistent week layer) would still be there and there would be a lot of snow come down. Most riders going past it would take a poke at it. Discipline has to be the name of the game this spring.

This little example is what the snow pack is like in most areas of the Elk Valley. I am appalled at the snow conditions this year.

The second picture is taken right beside the first one; Mother Nature is beautiful but she can also be deadly.

Ride safe and make good decisions this spring because your loved ones are at home waiting. Get out and enjoy nature.....

Attachments

• Avalanche5i.jpg
    Avalanche5i.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Moss2i.jpg
    Moss2i.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 30

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like a lot of S&M members to look at this so I posted it here....

This is an innocent slope, not really rideable, stumps showing, etc. No big deal, but imagine if it were another 500 meters higher! The PWL (the persistent week layer) would still be there and there would be a lot of snow come down. Most riders going past it would take a poke at it. Discipline has to be the name of the game this spring.

This little example is what the snow pack is like in most areas of the Elk Valley. I am appalled at the snow conditions this year.

The second picture is taken right beside the first one; Mother Nature is beautiful but she can also be deadly.

Ride safe and make good decisions this spring because your loved ones are at home waiting. Get out and enjoy nature.....

thanks. this is an awesome post. Will definately have to keep a careful eye out when riding next weekend in Mcbride. You may have just saved my life. I would have never guessed that slope would slide. :eek:

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ANY SLOPE CAN/WILL SLIDEwhen conditions are right.

Just don't take chances this time of year. Expect the worst, you won't be dissapointed.

Thanks Mongrol being from BC you would know. I appreciate your input

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya know Pipes, as long as I've been ridin' the High Country (40+ yrs), I always came home wanting more, BUT I DID COME HOME. Some time it takes really Big Balls to say, "Not today thanks".

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya know Pipes, as long as I've been ridin' the High Country (40+ yrs), I always came home wanting more, BUT I DID COME HOME. Some time it takes really Big Balls to say, "Not today thanks".

Amen to that Brother. I've only been ridin' the hi country 15 years, and every year I learn more. I guess Ive been lucky or I under estimate my spidy senses. Which ever, I always like to listen to the Ol' pro's and capitalize on their expeiences. This site has helped me do that

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FernieSnow, do you remember that 70's bumper sticker from Alberta;

"We'll trade Edmonton for Fernie" ????

Well, maybe it finally went through. LOL

But seriously, your posts are informative and knowledgeable.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
FernieSnow, do you remember that 70's bumper sticker from Alberta;

"We'll trade Edmonton for Fernie" ????

Well, maybe it finally went through. LOL

But seriously, your posts are informative and knowledgeable.

That's going back a long, long way!! I was just starting a teaching career in the NWT after living in Edmonton for 8 years. That's when we started sledding with a couple of 440 Arctic Cats. Don't even want to try to remember the cold; no hand warmers, big bulky clothing, wind coming in the seams, the old face masks, pressure ridges, over flow on the lakes and rivers, etc. But hey, once we got to a little cabin in the bush it was all cozy and the spirits flowed well into the night!!

I don't recall the bumper sticker....but as far as your neck of the woods goes, I love waiting for the ferry with a couple of cold Kokanees, and nice homemade bowl of borsch. I've always wanted to get up there in the winter but there are just soooo many beautiful places to go......maybe one day....:beer:

Top Bottom