Terrain information from Canadian Avalanche Centre

AvyDaze

Reaction score
Website
www.avalanche.ca
Hi forum users,

John Kelly here, Operations Manager at the Canadian Avalanche Centre

Another fatality occurred yesterday in Clemina. We are very saddened to see so many fatalities and so many fellows not coming home after what is supposed to be a fun recreational activity in the mountains. Please help us to get the word out about this season's snowpack and the need to leave an extra safety margin.

We continue to see very similar terrain in many of the avalanche accidents and incidents this season.

1. Fairly shallow snowpack area (less than 2 m or 6 ft)
2. Rocks or shrubs poking through the slope
3. Lots of variation in the snow cover depth
4. Some bulges or convexities on the slope where the avalanche is triggered.
5. Steep 40 degree + terrain

I have read many of the posts relating to avalanche safety on the site and i have some comments on general themes that may be helpful to some of the less experienced and less prepared sledders who are beginning to learn about managing avalanche safety.

Avalanches don't often sweep down from above unannounced. Over 90% of fatal avalanches are triggered by someone in the group.

Avalanche terrain includes steep terrain over 35 degrees as well as obvious avalanche chutes. If you can't recognize avalanche terrain then you need to go with someone who can, and take it really easy until you get the idea.

Different slopes are dangerous or safe at different times of the day, different times of the week, month and year. Some years have much worse danger than others. You really have to read the bulletin.

Any open slope anywhere can avalanche if it is greater than 30 degrees steepness and gets more than a metre of snowpack.

Here are some pictures sent to us by the BC Coroners Service from Clemina Creek and i would like to share them with you. Please note the factors i mention above as well as the serious terrain trap at the bottom of the slope.

There are more photos of avalanche terrain from this year's fatal accidents at: Canadian Avalanche Centre look in the left panel under "avalanche incident photo analysis".

Attachments

• CAA1.jpg
    CAA1.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 42
  • CAA2.jpg
    CAA2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 47
  • CAA3.jpg
    CAA3.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 41

elephant rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
judging by the previous avy activity, that slope has the writing all over it..... kinda looks obvious what to expect, I'm surprised people don't even know the basics.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
judging by the previous avy activity, that slope has the writing all over it..... kinda looks obvious what to expect, I'm surprised people don't even know the basics.

If you look at the bottom of the hill, there are TONS of tracks pounding the face..... looks safe don't it??

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your comment is vague..........

It is the common comforting factor. If you see a lot of tracks, those big hills look safe and appealing.
Avalanche training makes one aware of this deception.

I am gonna go out on a limb and say that the visibility was fantastic, there were LOTS of tracks on the hill, and, "Man I never saw that hill slide in the 30 years that I have ridden here.

Is that less vague>?

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
common sense would tell the tale this year to avoid terrain like this, is all I'm saying...

I hear ya bud, but somehow this does not seem to get the point across.

Just look at the incident reports, aside from deaths. the numbers are too high, but yet seem ignored.

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
I hear ya bud, but somehow this does not seem to get the point across.

Just look at the incident reports, aside from deaths. the numbers are too high, but yet seem ignored.

Unfortunately the warnings have gone unheard by many. The ‘it won’t happen to me’ plus the ‘entitlement’ attitudes of some are causing a loss of life in the mountains that will result in restrictions being imposed on those of us who police ourselves.:mad::mad:

Flange99

Reaction score
common sense would tell the tale this year to avoid terrain like this, is all I'm saying...

...and avalanche awareness training would tell you to avoid it every year. Think "consequences". Not "if", but "when" it slides...what are the consequences? Do I get deposited onto a nice gradually sloping flat area free of rocks and trees, or do I get blasted over rocks, or through trees, or over a cliff, or end up in a creek or valley under 2m of snow, or any or all of the above? This is the common sense part of our sport.

britt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have the avy training; Check, Have the beacon; Check, Have the probe; Check, Have the shovel; Check, Have the most powerful machine money can buy; Check, Consulted the latest avy reports; Check, Having common sense and experience; Priceless!!!!!! Nothing more needs to be said.

Britt

cobbycat

Reaction score
given the year we are having, assume that the slope you are looking at will slide. then it is up to you and your training to prove to yourself that you should ride it. and if the proof isn't telling you that it is safe, STAY OFF. pretty simple, really. there will always be accidents or misjudgements as it is a dangerous sport, but we can reduce the numbers by following this simple plan. we are the ones that can do something about the numbers, not anyone else. we have to take matters into our own hands and reduce these numbers or our beloved sport of mountain riding will be halted by our government. if you don't believe this then go try to buy a new 3-wheeler!:beer:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
...we are the ones that can do something about the numbers, not anyone else.....

What he said.

Thanks to the CAC for getting involved in these forum sites. Their input and knowledge is invaluable.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
A personal Thank You to John Kelly, operational manager at the Canadian Avalanche Center for getting involved. I am sure that this involvement will have positive results in the future.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A personal Thank You to John Kelly, operational manager at the Canadian Avalanche Center for getting involved. I am sure that this involvement will have positive results in the future.

X2 The CAC is doing a great job of their bulletins. We as responsible sledders have to take this information and make wise decisions about where we choose to ride.

AvyDaze

Reaction score
Website
www.avalanche.ca
Hi again forum users.

Thanks for the messages in this thread. We have some updated information relating to the photos from this incident that are attached to this post. This info can be seen at Canadian Avalanche Centre and look on the left panel for avalanche incident analysis.

The basic message continues to be that it is all about picking and choosing terrain. This seems to be the element that is a thread in many of this year's incidents.

We realise that many riders and groups of riders are very safe in their activities. With that in mind I have a question that I would like to see some comment on.

What are the characteristics (training, experience, preparedness, place of origin etc...) of the guys (it's all guys) who are getting in to trouble?

Of course there will be a variety of exceptions but it would be interesting to get some comment on whether there are similarities in the victim profile.

Please be mindful that the fellows who died have families and friends who are still grieving. I know they would be bothered by finger-pointing, but likely very supportive of our collective efforts to prevent the next incident.

Thanks,

JK

Top Bottom