Temporary Tent Buildings

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We are hoping to put up one this May long weekend, but we are having a hard time navigating throught the City of Calgary website. And the online help is pretty clueless......
So....... Has anyone put a 30Wx40Lx15H up inside a City???
We have the land space, so that isn't an issue and under 20% coverage
If we put it up where we want, we know a neighbor will complain to the City.
And would need to know what's the worst case Ontario?

Something like this
IMG_0510[1778].JPG

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Where in the city? Residential or commercial area?
Why a temporary building?
SE Calgary, in Shepard. Residential
A temp building because of cost, compared to a structural building

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SE Calgary, in Shepard. Residential
A temp building because of cost, compared to a structural building

The city has plenty of them so they would be Hippocrates if they said no. Although you still will likely need a permit.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are in the City of Calgary limits, I imagine City of Calgary rules will mostly apply Trashy.

If you haven't already, check https://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/Home-building-and-renovations/Garages-and-sheds.aspx

If you are expecting trouble from a neighbor, I would try to head that off if you can.

[FONT=&quot]Temporary tent garages on residential properties do not require a building permit, however; they must comply with the rules listed under location and design.
Note: tent garages are not considered maintenance free structures, so the setback rules apply.​​[/FONT]

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The city has plenty of them so they would be Hippocrates if they said no. Although you still will likely need a permit.
The 12x20's you buy at CT are all over the place in Residential and the bigger ones in Commercial
If you are in the City of Calgary limits, I imagine City of Calgary rules will mostly apply Trashy.

If you haven't already, check https://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/Home-building-and-renovations/Garages-and-sheds.aspx

If you are expecting trouble from a neighbor, I would try to head that off if you can.

Temporary tent garages on residential properties do not require a building permit, however; they must comply with the rules listed under location and design.
Note: tent garages are not considered maintenance free structures, so the setback rules apply.​​
Thanks for the links, they are what we have been looking at too. The neighbor would comply, if he moved away lol.

What we have found out, that any temp building under 807 sq ft, a building permit is not required. But anything over is a $1000.00 which is where we are stumped??? And knowing that we only paid $2500.00 for our building.

I'm going to call in, or either go online with the city in the morning. I'm not sure if my wife was asking the right questions, or using the correct words?

None the less, I appreciate the help and advice.

Maybe tomorrow some one can post about actually doing this. We have a 1/2 acre inside the limits, so land % isn't an issue

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an interesting go-around with the county when I was going to set up mine. Did not get the impression they were there to help me sort through their rules. They certainly did not care about your cost as that is not their problem. Basically for my installation (on a little more than 3 acres residential subdivision. it came down to two things:

1. The structure is temporary (no permit required) so as long as it was placed with the proper setbacks and was within the dimension guidelines for my area and we followed manufacturer's guidelines we were OK; and
2. The neighbors are ok with it. We talked to the neighbors before ordering it and the color of ours was actually chosen by them as they look at it more than we do.

Keep in mind neighbors can lodge a complaint even for buildings clearly allowed under the building codes.

Good luck.

The 12x20's you buy at CT are all over the place in Residential and the bigger ones in Commercial

Thanks for the links, they are what we have been looking at too. The neighbor would comply, if he moved away lol.

What we have found out, that any temp building under 807 sq ft, a building permit is not required. But anything over is a $1000.00 which is where we are stumped??? And knowing that we only paid $2500.00 for our building.

I'm going to call in, or either go online with the city in the morning. I'm not sure if my wife was asking the right questions, or using the correct words?

None the less, I appreciate the help and advice.

Maybe tomorrow some one can post about actually doing this. We have a 1/2 acre inside the limits, so land % isn't an issue

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are hoping to put up one this May long weekend, but we are having a hard time navigating throught the City of Calgary website. And the online help is pretty clueless......
So....... Has anyone put a 30Wx40Lx15H up inside a City???
We have the land space, so that isn't an issue and under 20% coverage
If we put it up where we want, we know a neighbor will complain to the City.
And would need to know what's the worst case Ontario?

Something like this
View attachment 224816

Is that a Norseman Q Series? I Have a 40 x 44 that I self installed. I bought a base rail kit with it and it worked well. If I had to suggest anything to install, I'd highly recommend a rolling scaffold. I've had mine up since 2014 and check the straps once a year and hasn't had to tension a thing yet. Been a great building

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is that a Norseman Q Series? I Have a 40 x 44 that I self installed. I bought a base rail kit with it and it worked well. If I had to suggest anything to install, I'd highly recommend a rolling scaffold. I've had mine up since 2014 and check the straps once a year and hasn't had to tension a thing yet. Been a great building

Oh yes - A tip we tried was to use ratchet tie downs instead of trying to wave all that webbing. Worked great. Checked the tension twice in first four years. Never had to tighten it once. Canadian tire inch and 1/2 ratchet straps.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So the city requires a building permit for ANY structure 807 sq ft to 110 sq ft approx. $220.00
Anything over 807 requires of course a building permit and a development permit. Now we would need to provide, the blue prints showing LxWxH, copy of RPR and a drawn picture on the RPR, showing where said structure will sit. Including distances from fences, neighbors property, house, existing buildings, what it will be sitting on, and how will it be secured? Approx $540.00 without a new RPR.
So damn near 800 bucks for a 3000 dollar tent :(

The lady at the city was super cool to talk with. If I chose not to go with any permits...… I risk the chance of a neighbor complaining and then applying for permits. And possible fines, if I don't follow up with a permit. But if I place it where neighbors won't complain, the city wouldn't give a sh!t until there is a complaint.

Wife is being filmed for a couple of online courses tonight, so have to wait until tomorrow evening to see what route we take

Another possible option, is to sell our 30x40 and buy 2 - 20Wx30L and just put them up

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lot of unhappy people out there right now just looking to cause someone else some grief. I say it is stacked against you to not have permits. Something to close to fence you may have to take down. You be plenty pissed then.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lot of unhappy people out there right now just looking to cause someone else some grief. I say it is stacked against you to not have permits. Something to close to fence you may have to take down. You be plenty pissed then.
The way we would like to put it up, would block all sunlight from the neighbors garden. She tends the garden and is a super nice lady, her husband is a dick!!! They are both close to 70 and we've been neighbors for 12 years.
Sooooo many decisions

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh yes - A tip we tried was to use ratchet tie downs instead of trying to wave all that webbing. Worked great. Checked the tension twice in first four years. Never had to tighten it once. Canadian tire inch and 1/2 ratchet straps.

The building I put up came with the ratchets everywhere. I think they ever sent a few spares. Must be 50 ratchets in the building. End walls have ratchets every 18in or so and base strap has them on either end

Top Bottom