Sunday Mar. 14, 2010 10:42 AM ET Massive search resumes after B.C. avalanche

Skidoo XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/...avalanche_100313/20100314?hub=BritishColumbia
[media]http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20100129/470_cp_bcmountain_2003.jpg[/media]

avalanche kills three, injures 17 in B.C. so far

still searching

Sunday Mar. 14, 2010 10:42 AM ET
Massive search resumes after B.C. avalanche
Police in Revelstoke, B.C., are conducting a door-to-door search of hotel rooms to find out how many people are still missing after an avalanche at a snowmobile event Saturday killed three and injured at least 20 in the B.C. interior. The search for any spectators or snowmobilers still buried in the snow was scheduled to resume at daybreak. More 1
Massive search resumes after B.C. avalanche

CTV News Video
CTV News Channel: Penny Daflos on the avalanche
Rescue crews prepare to return to the scene of a deadly avalanche in British Columbia's back country in a frantic race to find survivors.
Watch: See all Videos in the Player

Font-size: Share Print
Photos

Search and Rescue workers pack up for the evening at the Revelstoke Community Centre following an avalanche that killed snowmobilers near Revelstoke, B.C. on Saturday, March 13, 2010. (Jeff Bassett / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

CTV.ca News Staff
Date: Sun. Mar. 14 2010 10:42 AM ET
Police in Revelstoke, B.C., are conducting a door-to-door search of hotel rooms to find out how many people are still missing after an avalanche at a snowmobile event Saturday killed three and injured at least 20 in the B.C. interior.

The search for any spectators or snowmobilers still buried in the snow was scheduled to resume at daybreak.

The avalanche struck at about 3:30 p.m. Saturday, when snowmobilers were gathered for the Big Iron Shoot Out, an annual informal event on Boulder Mountain, near Revelstoke, about 200 kilometres northeast of Kelowna.

Witnesses described the avalanche as a tidal wave of snow crashing down on those gathered.

By late Saturday night, the RCMP confirmed that three people were dead. More than 20 people were treated for injuries after being airlifted off the mountain.

Four patients were transferred to larger hospitals because of the severity of their injuries, a spokesperson for Interior Health told The Canadian Press.

It is not yet known how many others are missing.

RCMP deployed four provincial search and rescue teams. The search operation was called off after dark fell Saturday.

RCMP have shut down the area while the rescue operation is underway.

A member of the Revelstoke Snowmobile Club told The Canadian Press that his mother and many of his friends were up on Boulder Mountain at the time of the event. His mother was not injured.

Adam Burke, 20, decided not to attend the event because of snow conditions on the mountain.

"Today it was high risk and just the other day it was extreme," he said.

"I told everyone to shut the mountain down...Just how I've been riding and I've noticed a lot of slab avalanches and I've caused a lot of little stuff over the season and it's just progressively gotten worse.

"I told my mom to shut it down and don't have anything to do with this event because it's going to kick you in the ass."

Speaking with CTV News Channel Saturday night, Revelstoke Mayor David Raven said the avalanche was not unexpected.

"The Canadian Avalanche Centre based in Revelstoke has had a warning for the last three weeks expressing extreme caution in the backcountry," Raven said. "A fresh snowfall overnight exacerbated that warning. I know people were just cautioned again and again to be very, very careful."

The area has seen 10 avalanches in recent days.

The Canadian Avalanche Centre warns of "considerable" risk of avalanche in the South Columbia region of B.C.'s interior, which includes Revelstoke, until at least Tuesday.

Fresh snow fell overnight Friday, but Saturday and Sunday were forecast to be blue-sky days.

"Recognize that blue sky weather and pow (powder snow) have a way of twisting our thoughts causing us to make poor decisions," forecaster Greg Johnson cautioned in a warning on the centre's website. "Right now is when consistent good decision making really counts in the mountains."

With files from The Canadian Press

Skidoo XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
news conference: at mar 14 10:000 am mt

they confirm two dead and

they say there was 200 on the mt
a good number have made it off mt

still looking

search area is 150m wide and 1km length and approx 30 feet deep

from news conference

Top Bottom