Stupid Question !!!

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Makes u winder why they issue plates? The plate number is on the registration paper work...what is the point of packing a round a shiny piece of folded up metal?

Semi Extreme

Reaction score
Can someone confirm no registration needed in BC????

you do not need registration in BC

Well unless things have changed ...YES...And the decal has to be visible...A few (maybe 13) years back I had two ol 1971 Skiroules (one was registered in my name) in the back of my ol 66 chevy, got stopped by a conservation officer in Bachelor heights coming back from Tranquile Meadows, he asked for my registration for the old sleds. I could barely keep a straight face when I asked him why he would be so concerned about a couple old junk sleds like this but he was quite serious when he gave me a written warning and said the fine could have been up to $250 . Since then every sled I have had has been registered. As far as I know ATV's and sleds have to be registered but dirt bikes do not, but things will change soon and bikes will have to be as well due to high theft rate and environmental damage. I am however asking for trouble as my current sled has been registered but the decal and reg. papers are in the glove box of the truck:rolleyes:

Operation prohibited without registration
2 (1) Except as otherwise provided in this Act, a person must not operate or authorize or permit another person to operate an all terrain vehicle unless he or she holds a certificate of registration for that all terrain vehicle in the prescribed form and unless the prescribed identification is displayed on the machine.

(2) A person under the age of 16 years is not entitled to register an all terrain vehicle.

(3) A person under the age of 18 years is not entitled to register an all terrain vehicle unless he or she deposits with the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia the written consent of his or her parent or guardian to the registration of the all terrain vehicle.

(4) Within 14 days following a transfer of ownership or destruction or abandonment of an all terrain vehicle, the owner must deliver to the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia written notice of the transfer of ownership, destruction or abandonment in a form prescribed by the corporation, together with the certificate of registration.

(5) This section does not apply to the operation of an all terrain vehicle by a person

(a) if the all terrain vehicle of that person is registered in and displays the identification of another province or state and is not in British Columbia for more than 30 days,

(b) if the director issues a special permit to the owner of an all terrain vehicle, whose province of residence does not require registration, to operate in British Columbia for a period not exceeding 30 days, or

(c) who is a dealer, who holds a prescribed dealer's registration certificate and who displays on the all terrain vehicle the prescribed identification.

Last edited:

ackid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont think there is any obligation for the plate to visible like there is on motor vehicles...anyways I keep my plates tucked in the seat...and in BC I think there is no requirment for your sled to be registered...

that is correct on the insurance and plates in bc! the price they pay over there is nuts. gov, go figure! and untill the manufactures make a spot to put a plate mines under the seat! the down side is that your insurance provider might think diffrent if it ever gets stolen!!! i know first hand! got away lucky, told then it was mounted! they like it to be mounted so that it can be checked by the police! just my 2 cents!

farmer4ever

Reaction score
I've been through a couple check stops and never been hassled for having it in the trunk. Sometimes it just pays to be cooperative and polite I guess.

Snowdoogie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm getting the feeling, nobody wants to put holes tin their sleed for the plate.
I guess if we have it on hand, what can they say!
Getting good feedback on this, thanks.

SD

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the trunk, ziplock bag with insurance and registration. Was hassled by an RCMP in Hay Lakes one day as to why none of us "were prowdly displaying our license plates?" I explained to him that I had lost the previous one that had been mounted to my snow flap and now store it in the trunck to avoid another loss. That seemed to be good enough since he did't even want to come out of the pub and have a look. As for the other guys I was with one had no registration, and the other no insurance or registration with his new sled. The RCMP was nice enough to let them off with a warning. He mentioned which way he would be going back to Camrose and did not want to see us on the way. We took his advice...

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I have no problem displaying a plate but on the snow flap it will get ruined or torn off. On the side of the tunnel it is just as invisible as in the trunk with my boots always being in the way.
Trunk seems to work just fine.

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mine never seem to make it out of the truck after renewal. they are there right now in the seat pocket on the back of the front seat.

manitoba, different story. I always had them mounted to the side of the tunnel, and i sold a friend of mine a F7, took my plate of, first ride out going into a small town to get lunch and some gas, the rc's pulled us over with no where to really go to out run them, and gave him a ticket, he was very polite and explained that he just bought it, and they said next time they will tow it and impound it.

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alberta regulations say its supposed to be mounted on the sled viewable from the front or rear of sled.....

http://www.saferoads.com/vehicles/snowmobile_snowlaw.html

manitoba and other provinces say must be mounted and viewable on the left rear(side) of the tunnel.....no exceptions

and if memory serves me correctly...some provinces have no plate at all and just a row of sticky letters...similar to marine

But hey its the wild west here in alberta looks like anything goes......:d

I would say if your riding ditches,towns and trail systems...put your plate on...if your in the high country...it likely doesnt matter

apex69

Reaction score
mounted mine to the clutch cover used 2 rivets on one side slide paperwork under in a ziplock bag

PullThePin

Reaction score
Lol. I have not carried mine ever. Always just carry my insurance and registration in my wallet. Never even took the plate out of the plastic.

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about we ask our Government people (to reconsider this old rule) before someone hurts themselves stuffing it into a backpak or chest pocket or something?

jeepchic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup in the under seat bag....rather pay the petty fine for not having it mounted than drill holes in my baby...:d

Top Bottom