Striping the paint from a tunnel

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Crossfire with a black tunnel, but I want to strip the black off to have a polished alum tunnel. How do I go about it? What products do I need?

I have a can of Tal-Strip aircraft coating remover, not sure if this is what I should use. Can says," strips finishes & primers from alum. & other metals".
Dont want to spray it on and screw up my sled. :nono:
Any info and input would be greatly appreciated......Thanx. :d

hornydevil

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That stuff should work for you, its one of the best paint stirper. Make sure that you tape anything you dont want unstrip very good and have at her, you might want to make sure that you are in a well vented area also. If youre not sure about it trye it on a smal piece first, I would say at the back of the tunel. I would also help if you scuf the paint a bit with sand paper, dont sand it down to much but just enought that it takes the shine out of it, I notice that it help sometime. Good luck, it's a dirty job that will pay off at the end.

dirtbag

Reaction score
I use furniture stripper from wallmart (what you have will work good)and for the stubborn spots a bit of heat with a heat gun after stripper is applied, I apply stipper and scrub with brass brissled brush or steel wool,and just a section at a time as you dont want stripper to dry when your working it

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just going through this myself as it happens.

Permatex Gasket Remover. Nasty Nasty chemical, but works really well. Apply it, let it bubble the paint, then hit it with a pressure washer. Some areas are pretty stubborn and may need multiple treatments.

Good luck and be safe - goggles, respirator, rubber gloves, etc.

IMSICK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
backcountryrebels.com
oxy-red...... works wonders and if you use it in a poorly ventilated area, it makes the task very entertaining..... well, you laugh at everything anyways!!!

put it on with a brush, let it sit for 5 minutes and wipe the paint off with a rag or wash it off.

hornydevil

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say it would be one ting to do (sandblast) but if your gouing to ploish it I would avoid that metode, by sanblasting youre going to make some seroius scratch or fine litle holes that will requier alot of sanding and I mean alot. I once tried that on a motorcycle wheel and it took alot of sanding to take it down to where it was good and smooth for polishing.

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just going through this myself as it happens.

Permatex Gasket Remover. Nasty Nasty chemical, but works really well. Apply it, let it bubble the paint, then hit it with a pressure washer. Some areas are pretty stubborn and may need multiple treatments.

Good luck and be safe - goggles, respirator, rubber gloves, etc.

just make sure you spray it towards your neighbors fence not yours, lol
do not sand plast it you will have pits in the aluminum and will not polish out nice

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took a while and didnt even do MY sled. My hubby stole the can of paint stripper and attacked his sled insteed. Took a can and a half, and the results are pretty good. Mine is next. Heres some pics. :d

Attachments

• Back 1.jpg
    Back 1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Left Side 1.jpg
    Left Side 1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Right Side 1.jpg
    Right Side 1.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Back 2.jpg
    Back 2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Rear 1.jpg
    Rear 1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 39

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your thinking of sandblasting it dont the heat will warp the aluminum, go with soda balsting of course more money to do this.

Top Bottom