straight pipe on 2012 summit sport power tek

highstage

Reaction score
hey guys have any of you ever run a straight pipe on your sled i just bought a new summit 800 sport power tek 154 and was wondering if i could get away with it i have run one on my 2003 159 800 ho zx since i have had it with no trouble i have had it in the montians and road the ch!t out of it numerous times any input would be great

highstage

Reaction score
a stright pipe is no muffler just pipe its loud and sounds good my conceren is there is no back press on them like a can i have one on my 800 ho and it has been fine but will these new 800 be ok

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much weight did you have to take out of your clutch when you put it on? That thing would lose a bunch of HP, and i'm suprised you didn't burn the engine down in 5 seconds.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
x2 on the meltdown! years ago we used to make stingers and had to weld washers on the end to make the right back pressure! but that was also tested and tuned on the dyno!

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 strokes need expansion chambers. With out it kiss that power good bye cuz you ain't seeing it again!

Sent from my white iPhone 4

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 strokes need expansion chambers. With out it kiss that power good bye cuz you ain't seeing it again!

Sent from my white iPhone 4
The expansion chamber is part of the pipe...not the can. Most of the new motors have internal stingers inside the pipe....so the can is only a muffler and the only tuning factor it provides is outlet diameter or "effective" outlet diameter. Diameter of the outlet is VERY touchy on a 2-stroke....one (1) mm too tight at too low an elevation = melt down.

Edit: and to the original poster: don't be silly.

Last edited:

njk4o5

Reaction score
yes you can straight pipe it. just remove the muffler and weld on a piece of piping like you did on your ZX. everybody is afraid to do it and thinks it will blow a motor lol yet they buy mbrp cans for $230 and all it is is a hollow pipe with some packing around it. you can see right through those suckers so instead of paying $230 for a striaght pipe i bought a 2' section of 1 3/4" pipe and made my own on my m1000. sounds sweet runs mint and weighs like 20lbs less than it did before. cost me $5 and about 2 hours to do. The expansion chamber is what makes the correct amount of backpressure in a two stroke engine. the exhaust canister or "can" is what muffles the noise. people think the can keeps backpressure but they are wrong. google it. i did. i read up on this many times before i did it to my sled in fear of a lean burn down like everyone guesses will happen. As for power loss, its no different than a mbrp, probably loses 3 horsepower and 20 pounds give or take but sounds sweet as well.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes you can straight pipe it. just remove the muffler and weld on a piece of piping like you did on your ZX. everybody is afraid to do it and thinks it will blow a motor lol yet they buy mbrp cans for $230 and all it is is a hollow pipe with some packing around it. you can see right through those suckers so instead of paying $230 for a striaght pipe i bought a 2' section of 1 3/4" pipe and made my own on my m1000. sounds sweet runs mint and weighs like 20lbs less than it did before. cost me $5 and about 2 hours to do. The expansion chamber is what makes the correct amount of backpressure in a two stroke engine. the exhaust canister or "can" is what muffles the noise. people think the can keeps backpressure but they are wrong. google it. i did. i read up on this many times before i did it to my sled in fear of a lean burn down like everyone guesses will happen. As for power loss, its no different than a mbrp, probably loses 3 horsepower and 20 pounds give or take but sounds sweet as well.

Everything you search on google is true! If you don't believe me, just search it!

:)

Top Bottom