stainless vs. titanium

dirtbikersledder

Reaction score
aside from price, what are the main differences between stainless steel header and muffler and a titanium one, weight, heat characteristics, which is superior?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You could google it! that would be faster then waiting for someone to answer on your thread.

Thanks for this great reply.

Anyway, back to the original topic... titanium is lighter, stainless won't rust but is heavier. Some like the look of titanium, some don't, it won't be as shiny as stainless. That's about the main differences. Design in the header will have more influence than the material type between these two.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this great reply.

Anyway, back to the original topic... titanium is lighter, stainless won't rust but is heavier. Some like the look of titanium, some don't, it won't be as shiny as stainless. That's about the main differences. Design in the header will have more influence than the material type between these two.

Titanium is also harder than Stainless, which also means more brittle, not so good for thin peices that are subject to vibration.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exhaust material and brand all depends on what make and model you are running and what you are using it for. My personal opinion is that for offroad use where you are going to abuse the silencer I would use a titanium header and midpipe (more expensive) and a stainless or aluminum silencer (cheaper to replace). For on road use or if you like the crow effect (shiny things) then i would go with a carbon fibre or Ti silencer as an option. Performance wise you will not notice a difference between the two materials if the pipe is designed with the same dimensions.

As for brands I personally believe that there are certain pipe manufacturers for every make of bike. FMF makes great pipes and are a very good overall option but for certain bikes i would go with an exhaust that the manufacturer has aligned itself with.

A couple examples:

KTM - Akropovic
Ducati - Termignoni
Suzuki - Yoshimura
Kawasaki - Pro Circuit

Just my opinion.

Cheers

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
titanium is stronger than stainless but is usually made from a lighter gauge material than stainless steel headers and will dent easier not really worth the extra dollars as there is better and cheaper places to reduce weight

Top Bottom