speedo is out and oil tank leak on 2011 X

Snow Rodeo

Reaction score
I have no idea how these things figure out how far they go...it can't be off of the track. and along with that is how fast they are going. So my speedo is not registering but the distance gauge works, what's bust?
also, anyone out there with a leaky oil tank cap? it looks like my tank threaded end is warped on top which is very strange as i have 1900 km's on mine and it just started now. The O ring in the cap looks OK and it tightens down fine...strange. :confused:

Summit69

Reaction score
The speedo runs off of a sensor on the chaincase if im not mistaken, not sure why your speedo would be in/op but the odometer still works. Maybe cluster issue? Id call the dealer and take it there, especially if you still have any warranty.

There is billet inserts for the oil resevoir to fix the leaking cap issue. The tank gets warped from over tightening the cap. Theres a few different companies making them, I got mine from Mots Machining in St. Albert.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
x3 for the motts insert, as for the speed who knows, but as long as your tach works let er rip.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have no idea how these things figure out how far they go...it can't be off of the track. and along with that is how fast they are going. So my speedo is not registering but the distance gauge works, what's bust?also, anyone out there with a leaky oil tank cap? it looks like my tank threaded end is warped on top which is very strange as i have 1900 km's on mine and it just started now. The O ring in the cap looks OK and it tightens down fine...strange. :confused:
I see u have an x model. Is it the gauge speedo or the center lcd speedo not working. Or both???

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just put a motts insert in mine and it hasnt leaked a drop since.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have no idea how these things figure out how far they go...it can't be off of the track. and along with that is how fast they are going. So my speedo is not registering but the distance gauge works, what's bust?
also, anyone out there with a leaky oil tank cap? it looks like my tank threaded end is warped on top which is very strange as i have 1900 km's on mine and it just started now. The O ring in the cap looks OK and it tightens down fine...strange. :confused:

I have the oil tank inserts here in Calgary, should fix you up there.

Snow Rodeo

Reaction score
Teth, where are you at? I would like to come pick one up. thx. i did over tighten it, that's a typical problem i have.

The speedo gauge is not working but i did not look at the digital display, i'll check it out for our ride on Thursday and let you know.

A sensor in the chaincase would be strange as that would pick up on track spin and be very different then actual distance traveled. that would work for speedo tho.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Teth, where are you at? I would like to come pick one up. thx. i did over tighten it, that's a typical problem i have.

The speedo gauge is not working but i did not look at the digital display, i'll check it out for our ride on Thursday and let you know.

A sensor in the chaincase would be strange as that would pick up on track spin and be very different then actual distance traveled. that would work for speedo tho.
whether it picks up from the chaincase or the drivers, the distance measured would still be the same.....the drivers spin just like the chain and gears.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

214 3750 46 Ave SE Calgary 8-4 M-F
403-444-5457

Top Bottom