Spark Plug Wires BRP Aftermarket

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So as i was working on my sled today i thought i would change my Plugs out since theyd had been in there for a long time and it seemed to not be running at it's full potential last time i was out. When i pulled the wire off the plug the clip inside the boot was cracked and broke off onto the plug .. on BOTH wires !!! haha so that could of been a major contributer to my lack of performance last ride. So ok i got to pull the wires off the boots to replace them and the wires are rotten and junk. Now i need wires and boots ... and that stupid clip that holds them into the magneto because i touched that thing and it shattered ....

So BRP's complete wires are $35 each or so and they will take a week to order... OR i have some 8mm MSD race wires kickin around the garage along with some other aftermarket wires that would work just fine. Anyone running aftermarket wires ? all im concerend about is how they contact the magneto ... (looks like inserts pushed into the wires to fit around some pins in the magneto)

Bow Cycle suggested i use bulk whatever wires and buy BRP boots which are in stock along with the clips. Any suggestions or info on this would be a big help !!! thanks !

rwjk0

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the same sled and mine did the same, I got lucky and they had them in stock. The reason they say to run BRP caps is because they have a certain amount of resistance which varies between cap manufactures and styles, I don't know what would happen if you were to change the resistance.

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya good point, most of the time putting aftermarket wires on cars-trucks they have larger cores in them which means less resistance but more power makes it to the plugs for a better spark, so the least amount of resistance is best for performance. BUT... what the heck does this do to sleds ? i really don't know .. haha !

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the same sled and mine did the same, I got lucky and they had them in stock. The reason they say to run BRP caps is because they have a certain amount of resistance which varies between cap manufactures and styles, I don't know what would happen if you were to change the resistance.

Had to put red NGK cap ends for the same reason on my 07 XRS and runs very well. No problems at all.

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright, i made some wires out of Taylor 8mm high performance automotive wires with MDS high performance automotive boots, the taylors were a little thick to get into the coil so i had to remove some of the outter shield coating but then they side in fine. I hooked up the coil and wires last night and pulled the rope, idle was perfect and all electronics were good, only reved it to 5K for a test, everything worked good. I will have a better update when i get back from a long hard ride. If anything i expect these to work significantly better over the cheapie NGK wires these sleds come with. The boots are sealed tight around the plugs and there is a definite *click* once they are pushed all way onto the plugs, these puppies will not come lose.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and besides the fact they may work better they probably look pretty sweet to with big fat wires goin to your plugs.:d

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just had a weekend out in Revy playing in 2feet pow most of the time, tree dodging and climbs. Im not sure how long thouse boots were broken but my sled is a monster now. Throttle responds RIGHT NOW and sounds great. It didn't sound like it was all there last trip but now it screams and barks and holy hell i had alot of fun. If anyone thinks you need to run stock wires/boots for your sled to work properly they haven't tried making their own, i would suggest this to ANYONE that is looking to replace wires/boots. There a little tough to get to work with the magneto but in the end it's all worth it, i could see these lasting a long time because of the quality and make. Just wow, oh ya... i rolled my sled 20-25 times and it started in one pull (now thats good spark).

Happy modifying !!

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that happened to mine aswell the other day what did you use for the clip that connest to the coil

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can get them from any BRP dealer, i bought 6 and broke 2 trying to seat the bigger wires properly in the clip, possibly worst design EVER !!! Why not just make it like automotive coils where there are boots on both ends of the wires to connect to the coil like the plugs...

The clip just snaps into the coil, but first you should put the wires in it, you can push them in but you cannot pull them out, the clip has little teeth that grip the wires to hold them in. If your using aftermarket wires and they are too thick to fit inside the coil you will need to shave some of the outter coating off, (be carfull not to cut the inner coating or it will rip when inside the clip if it gets pulled on). The way i did it was i removed the outter coating to right where the teeth dig in to the wires, then i put the wires into the clip by opening it up with a pair of pliers (broke a clip like this, be carefull, they are fragile) so i could get the outter coating all the way into the clip so the teeth latched onto the thick part (outter coating still on). Then i simply pushed the clip into the coil and wala. You might want to take a pair of side cutters and clip some of the core out of the middle, this way the prongs sticking down in the coil can fit right into the end of the wires. You just put your wire cutters on the end of the wire and push down so some of the core is exposed from compressing the rubber and snip.

If you ever need to take the clip off because the wires are not in far enough or you need to pull the wires out some, be VERY careful, broke another clip when i did this. Take your time and release the 2 outter clips first, then do the inside ones. I should also mention that trying to do this all while the coil is still on the machine is impossible, so take it off so you can work on the bench.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just curious if the xp's have the same crappy design as the revs??

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just curious if the xp's have the same crappy design as the revs??

Im really not sure on that one, haven't really done anything to the XP yet... think that will be for the spring, not much of the season left to be modifying and tuning, a clutch kit would be nice though...

um anyways, i heard they changed the ignition somewhat, not exaclty sure what it was but someone told me the 07 ignition was better.

Top Bottom