Snowmobile specific vs general AST training

Kelso

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I took AST 1 through UofC a few years ago and have been wanting to get my wife into one as well. We just got a second sled and she is excited to get out and learn to ride with me so an AST course for her is essential this winter.
My question is why are the snowmobile specific courses twice as much money? Are you not learning the same material just with a specific focus on snowmobile instead of ski travel? Do you not use your own machine and buy your own trail pass? I just can't figure it out... can anybody who has taken both please provide some insight as to why the sled course is nearly twice as much and if you felt it was worth the added expense? I'm not questioning that it is better knowledge and more relevant for snowmobiling, but we could both take it through UofC or Yamnuska for practically the same price as just one snowmobile specific course...
Which option is money better spent?
And the UofC couse was at Fortress ski area. Plenty of snow, minimal travel.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't say anything about the ski ast courses but I do have my ast1 through zacs tracs. I quite enjoyed the course and learned lots. I think the snowmobile specific courses focus more on terrain evaluation just because we cover so much ground. In my mind it was worth the additional cost. Really want to get going on my ast2 soon though. Feel ast1 is really basic.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As above I have only done the sled course. I imagine the courses should be similar due to curriculum requirements but the sled course focused a lot on terrain evaluation and safe travel routes due to the amount of ground a sled can cover. Also noted was the fact on riskier days sledders can still have fun on low angle terrain whereas skiing is almost always on the dangerous slope angles.

Kelso

Reaction score
I totally agree there would be some more targeted information, just trying to see if there is twice the value to match the expense but it doesn't seem to me that there would be...

Hangfire or Zacs tracs, care to help me understand the value in one of your classes? Sell it to me!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It could come down to a straight economics things; look at how both courses are set up and the cost associated with each. The U of C costs may be much less for rental facilities, may be not? Sledders are not allowed at Fortress Mountain, and the U of C course would not involve the same costs to run, such as; costs for instructor's equipment, lodging, meals, gas, and various other components of course. Finally, I am sure the AST 1 course is good, but I would wager to say that it does not deliver the snowmobile specific knowledge one gains from a sled AST 1 course.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It likely costs a LOT more to run/teach a course using a snowmobile than using touring skis or snowshoes.

If you go with the backcountry ski/board course are you experienced/knowledgable enough to teach her all the sled specific differences?

There are some different approaches to travel, risk, and terrain evaluation even though it's still snow science.

Last edited:

Zacs Avy Crew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
Hello Kelso, Sorry I have been off the site for a while. There are several reasons that the AST1 Sled Specific Course is more money, all (or most) of the instructors travel to put courses on and we are paying staff, venues, catering, fuel, insurance (vehicle, venue and field) and literature from Av Can to just name a few of the costs. Yamneska and U of C are stationary for their classes unless it's a custom class. Everyone is correct in their descriptions of the targeted information on terrain choices, visual clues, snow pack that can and does change from one minute to the next, you cover a huge territory on a sled compared to a skier or snow boarder. The sledders response to an avalanche or incident is also different if you are on a sled compared to skiis. We have a course called a Rescue Workshop that we have been running for 6 years or more now that is targeted to Transceivers usage, Shoveling techniques and Probing usage. It is a hands on class (you bring your equipment or borrow ours) that is beneficial to all sledders no matter how long you have been riding. What Lori and Randy want to pass along is ALL the knowledge that they have accumulated in their 17 years of teaching AST 1& 2 Classes to sledders. I highly encourage you to come and see us if you have any other questions. We will be at the presentation booth at the Edmonton Sled Show and I will be at the Saskatoon Show in November. I look forward to giving you any other information that you would like.

Hope this helped. Cheers Dawn

palerider57

Reaction score
The sled specific is a must if you are a sledder. The cost difference is well explained by Dawn. Although it is expensive, I'd recommend you both take it together, which is what I did with my kid. Once done, you will be thankful you took it together. Zacs will treat you right.

Top Bottom