Snowbird down in Kamloops

Legend14

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
She ejected too and landed in a back yard.A retired nurse tried to save her but she was in bad shape, pilot landed on a house roof, their shoots definitely didn’t have enough time to deploy, also heard old couples house it landed just in front of he was in back yard and she was in basement, they really lucky.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another life lost because of government indifference and incompetence when it comes to properly funding the military. Both conservatives and liberals. Decades of asking our young people to serve using obsolete, worn out garbage for equipment. Those Tutor aircraft and the dangerously obsolete ejection seats in them have cost the lives of aircrew before, and investigations in the past have stated that they shouldn’t be used anymore. Shameful.

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
5131C269-C709-4E4A-81E1-D4EAB3BDA284.jpeg A photo I took on July 26 2017 with iconic Mt Begbie in the background

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Another life lost because of government indifference and incompetence when it comes to properly funding the military. Both conservatives and liberals. Decades of asking our young people to serve using obsolete, worn out garbage for equipment. Those Tutor aircraft and the dangerously obsolete ejection seats in them have cost the lives of aircrew before, and investigations in the past have stated that they shouldn’t be used anymore. Shameful.

I would think that for the Snowbirds the age of the aircraft is somewhat irrelevant, folks still drive antique cars, fly antique planes etc... The Snowbirds are a demonstrational publicity team and one would hope that the maintenance is top notch regardless of the age of the aircraft.

But to your point about underfunded and obsolete equipment. I wanted to join the Navy when I finished high school, my Grandfather was a Career Army Chef who served in WWII and Korea, when I talked to him about joining up he told me "No, our family has contributed enough to a military who does not provide the proper supplies and equipment to it's people" The gulf war had just ended a few years prior and nobody knew if it was really over as Canadian ships continued to patrol the Gulf. My Grandad was unimpressed by the Canadian Governments financial commitment to the armed forces and did not want his grandson enlisting.... So I didn't

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m sure the maintenance of the snowbirds is as good as it can be. The problem lies in the ejection systems in a 50 year old plane. They’re ineffective at low speeds and altitudes, where the majority of the aerobatics are performed. Apparently they looked into upgrading the seats after a previous accident, and found that there was no room in the cockpit nor enough structure under the seats to support the actuation of a modern seat.
Remember a few years back when that F-18 augered in in Lethbridge after an engine failure? He was about 300 feet up, aircraft in a stall and at a 90 degree angle to the ground. He ejected safely with minor injuries. That’s because he had a modern zero-zero seat. When you look at the video from Kamloops, the smoke plume from the seats looked like they were fired out with black powder!
Like most people, I enjoy the snowbirds. The fact they perform as well as they do is a tribute to their skill and professionalism. A group of talented, skilled individuals that make us all proud. Let’s hope they get some modern aircraft so if the worst happens, the have the maximum chance for survival.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well there should be an abundance of F18s available soon ( not that they are current ) didnt we purchase new F22? Thunderbirds and Blue angels use F16 and F18 with good sucess

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well there should be an abundance of F18s available soon ( not that they are current ) didnt we purchase new F22? Thunderbirds and Blue angels use F16 and F18 with good sucess
No F22's to anyone but the US. This is their top line fighter and they aren't sharing it with anyone I was told by an Air Force guy at Pearl Harbor 2 winters ago. We had invested billions in the F-35 program but Trudeau decided he wanted to restart the purchasing and selection process for the RCAF. Money down the drain. Fuggin twat.....

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No F22's to anyone but the US. This is their top line fighter and they aren't sharing it with anyone I was told by an Air Force guy at Pearl Harbor 2 winters ago. We had invested billions in the F-35 program but Trudeau decided he wanted to restart the purchasing and selection process for the RCAF. Money down the drain. Fuggin twat.....

sorry thats what i meant F35.

those were the single engine jets he was going to purchase that all the fighter pilots said hey Trudeau would you fly a single engine jet over the atlantic ocean? no thanks, LOL

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sad news R.I.P. love the snowbirds some of the best shows in the sky. Im allways amazed how they can fly like that .

Top Bottom