Snow flake tires in bc

Flatlander_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know it's the wrong time of year to wonder about winter tires but bought a new pickup just ordered new rims and changing tires but dont drive the truck enough to require two sets of rubber just wondering if anyone has been hassled about not having snow flake tires in bc don't want to be limited to bfg all terrain or good year dura trac thanks for any input.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know it's the wrong time of year to wonder about winter tires but bought a new pickup just ordered new rims and changing tires but dont drive the truck enough to require two sets of rubber just wondering if anyone has been hassled about not having snow flake tires in bc don't want to be limited to bfg all terrain or good year dura trac thanks for any input.

I've never had any problems with it.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont think you will get hastled, i think it has to do more with insurance in the event of a accident, but i dont know for sure.

Mattiac. your bang on... in an accident especially one where there are a lot of injuries and ur car gets a mechanical inspection ordered (mainly so cops can go into your computer and read your speed) the snow flake would be an issue! No to mention anyone ever go throght those winter road inspections at the bottom of the Coq Hwy 5 in Hope... they are mostly checking large trucks and have never looked at my 4x4 but I 've seen them park mini vans because of it!!! So I guess it all depends how much u trust icbc???? they'd probably fault you a certain percent so that both parties pay extra insurance. I bit the bullet bought a pair of Hakpolitas (spelling unknown) from Kal. Best winter tire in the world as far as I am concerned. I keep them on my stock rims and just throw them on when doing long winter trips with the family.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Coming out of Fernie last year heading home and cops had a checkstop west of Coleman checking all vehicles for snow tires heading west. I think it comes down to if you run into a checkstop or not.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
) For the purpose of this section, “winter tire” means a tire that is
(a) advertised or represented by its manufacturer or a person in the business of selling tires to be a tire intended principally for winter use, and that provides, or is designed to provide, adequate traction in snow or MUD; and
(b) in the condition respecting tread wear and other particulars the regulations prescribe.
(2) The Minister of Transportation and Highways may, by public notice or by placing signs, prohibit vehicles from being driven or operated on a highway that are not equipped with chains, winter tires or sanding devices, or a combination of these the minister considers adequate and necessary in view of prevailing road conditions.
(3) For the purposes of a prosecution under this section, the onus is on the defendant to prove that a tire alleged not to be a winter tire is in fact a winter tire.

No mention of having "Severe winter" branding ie. snowflake/mountain symbol.

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You've got time on your hands drd. U ain't overhauling I bet lol.

Flatlander_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks guys thats what i was looking for i ran a set of 35'' toyo open country mt three years ago coming out of valemount with a four place in freezing rain so going with functional instead of what looks good this time around thanks for the info.

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if your worried about being parked because you don't have winter rated tire,pick up a set of chains,they don't have to fit,just carry them. The signs say " use good winter tires or CARRY chains"

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a friend of my brother in law had his insurance voided from a roll over on the Connector because he did not have winter tires on or chains. Apparently any hwy that posts "must have good winter tires or chains" means exactly that. Around town you are ok though.

motrhed

Reaction score
Spend the money on a good set of tires for the winter, they are the only thing between you and the icey road! A good set of winter tires are wayyyyyy cheaper than going off the road (time, damage, towing, etc). Plus, I don't really want to be taken out by someone that lost it because they are too cheap or vain to have a proper set of winter tires. If you don't want to spend the cash to be safe, stay off the road!!! That will save you even more money... Win, win!

spuds

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spend the money on a good set of tires for the winter, they are the only thing between you and the icey road! A good set of winter tires are wayyyyyy cheaper than going off the road (time, damage, towing, etc). Plus, I don't really want to be taken out by someone that lost it because they are too cheap or vain to have a proper set of winter tires. If you don't want to spend the cash to be safe, stay off the road!!! That will save you even more money... Win, win!
agreed
I plan on buying winter tires in the fall and driving them all year, one set of tires usually last 70 to 80k

Flatlander_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks for telling me my business i asked a legit question and get called cheap and to stay off the road if all you can do is jump in and offer no decent answer only lecture, keep it to yourself.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for telling me my business i asked a legit question and get called cheap and to stay off the road if all you can do is jump in and offer no decent answer only lecture, keep it to yourself.

Approved winter tires are becoming a bigger and bigger thing in BC. If you travel the highways in the north there is a better and better chance you will get stopped and checked. In Prince George early last winter they rerouted all light traffic through the Hart Highway Scales and did a safety check, one of the items was approved winter tires, quite a few people were ticketed. That is the 1st time I had seen that in this region and was told to expect it to become common place. I also heard a passanger vehicle inspection point was set up at Mackenzie junction mid winter.

In your situation, from Grande Prairie, your most likely traveling the Pine Pass is coming to BC, I for one hope that you have proper winter tires going through there.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Welcome to Snowandmud.com, bud. About 8 out of 10 threads like this will head straight sideways on ya....LOL

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

u can run any tire ya want, how ya goin to get up or down wapiti hill in the winter?

van isle

Reaction score
I used to run a set of studded winter tires and a set of all seasons in the summer. But i hated switching back and forth never mind the TPMS light would be on all winter with the winter wheels and tire. That is why i switch to a set of Duratracs. They will out perform any winter tire on ice and deep snow. Plus you can run all year long and the still have a high weight ratting unlike most E rated 10 ply ture winter tires that usually have a lower weight ratting.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run silent armors, winter rated and good to run year round. I've only got 32k on them so far but I like them. Two sets of tires is a pain.

Top Bottom