Small slab release near Rolling Hills cabin

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
A snowmobiler set slab release (IMHO) on the leeward, snow laden, east facing unsuspecting little "roller". This was from Friday. About 40 meters across and the fracture line definitely shows the various layers and was about 2 meters thick. Definitely enough to do some serious damage to a rider caught in the trees. The first picture shows a snowmobile track above and with my limited knowledge, I would suspect that was the trigger.

Snowmobile track.....
IMG_2879.jpg

Slab layers.....
IMG_2875.jpg

IMG_2871.jpg

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sledder could have not even known, that they had set it off judging from where the tracks are. Sketchy

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were actually looking for a lost sledder in the immediate area when we happened across this slide. Doug and I did a beacon search to be sure no one had been caught in it and then heard a voice to the right about 100 yard where we found the guy buried in a tree well with his sled. A little nerve wracking at first.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know why you guys would be out over there anyway... not like the snow is very good.

On a serious note, be cautious out there kids... with it being awhile since there was this much snow, I think some 'temporary insanity' sets in, and people forget to look twice before squeezing the loud button.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know why you guys would be out over there anyway... not like the snow is very good.

On a serious note, be cautious out there kids... with it being awhile since there was this much snow, I think some 'temporary insanity' sets in, and people forget to look twice before squeezing the loud button.
Baaaaaah! Nice meeting you up there yesterday Troy. Still waiting for that demo ride review from you. Lol.

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
South rockies said there was another one back I the notch. 7 people involved. Anyone have anymore info? We put over a hundred SAFE miles on this weekend snow was amazing but very unstable. Heard 2 big avys Friday, felt some whumphing on basically flat ground. And seen other signs that raised our awareness. We rode medows, flat cut blocks and very simple terrain all weekend. I still can't for the life of me figure out why people would be back in areas like the notch when there is this much instability in the snow pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
South rockies said there was another one back I the notch. 7 people involved. Anyone have anymore info? We put over a hundred SAFE miles on this weekend snow was amazing but very unstable. Heard 2 big avys Friday, felt some whumphing on basically flat ground. And seen other signs that raised our awareness. We rode medows, flat cut blocks and very simple terrain all weekend. I still can't for the life of me figure out why people would be back in areas like the notch when there is this much instability in the snow pack.

It is the question of the ages

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were at the notch on saturday and saw a slab that came down caused by a sledder . I guess the avalanche ratings are just someone crying wolfe and guys with turbo sleds know better.

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
South rockies said there was another one back I the notch. 7 people involved. Anyone have anymore info? We put over a hundred SAFE miles on this weekend snow was amazing but very unstable. Heard 2 big avys Friday, felt some whumphing on basically flat ground. And seen other signs that raised our awareness. We rode medows, flat cut blocks and very simple terrain all weekend. I still can't for the life of me figure out why people would be back in areas like the notch when there is this much instability in the snow pack

I think it's the "can't happen to me mentality" sometimes!!

Top Bottom