slow to hit top end

hippiekiller

Reaction score
Just fired up my 700 yesterday on the stand and noticed the revs weren't climbing as fast as I would like....up to 5 or 6000 was fairly good but from 6-8000 it seemed to climb a little slower than I remembered...I cleaned my clutches last year and I think I changed the weights to 55 from 58s...151 track and 19/42 gears...any suggestions?

hippiekiller

Reaction score
Fresh gas and filter, cleaned secondary and plugs.....There is a definite shudder/bog which shakes the sled pretty good around 5-6000, and it loads up pretty good if it sits and idles for a spell...
Am I Running too Rich?

Its around 3/4 throttle, so this means needle taper or main jet?

hippiekiller

Reaction score
So i moved the needle up two clips which pretty much got rid of the mid-range stutter, but its still a little laggy to hit 8k...This was still on the stand @2800ft, so I took the needle down one clip(2nd clip) and will probably go fer a rip this weekend up to 5-7000ft probably...
I'm running stock 158 mains and engine is pretty much stock except for mildly gutted airbox and can...does this sound about right? Dare I put a leaner mainjet in this early in the season?

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you change the weights, gearing and track all at once? If so it may be running fine as the 151 track would need a lot more torque and hp to turn than the shorter track.

I would stick with the jetting you have already. I ran 160 main jets in our 700 (when it was stock) and it was running close to perfect...not sure I would run ours leaner. I went 2 sizes leaner on the pilot jets from stock to get our 600 and 700 engines to run better. When I run these sleds I run the needle at the 2nd slot from the top for a more crisp off idle mixture...but I have to raise the needles when my wife runs it or it will run too hot as she does not tape the throttle to the bar unless she is hill climbing.

catlove7

Reaction score
check your choke plungers my xlt did that had one plunger that was sticking a little bit creating a dead spot also check plug wires

Top Bottom