Slaughtering Elk.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother, my dad, and I all put in for the cow draw and were all unsuccessful. A nice cow elk would have been great in the freezer.

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's my .02

I think they made the right decision in letting the First Nations hunters take the bulls. This was not at all about hunting rights, it was about conservation. Had they allowed "white" hunters to take the bulls, they likely would not have culled the target number of male animals, due to many wanting to take only those "of a lifetime" bulls.
I entered the draw for cows as well and I was glad to have the opportunity even though I was unsuccessful.

Like I said, JMO.

I can appreciate your comments, however what would be the problem with dividing up the hunting a little more to accomodate the white man and his pursuit for trophies. Nothing. Instead they open the door to the native population, the meat will end up being sold for who knows what in a market that supports poaching and other illegal activity. The antlers and skulls will end up on walls around world via ebay with the money from sales going to support the few in the band that have the control. New trucks, money to gamble etc. IMO this whole elk cull was poorly excuted. Almost every legally entitled hunter in Alberta put in this draw and 400 bulls where slaughtered in a free for all because of politics. IMO

I am so tired of "native rights" and "treaty" bs. Get over it and accept Canada for what it is not for what it was. Country is going into the toilet because of the rights of the few vs the right thing to do for the masses.

Eagle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a buddy who was lucky enough to get a cow tag, and he said the whole operation was messed up. He said 1 in 5 were wouned and left to die. Imagine people shooting into a heard of 500 plus elk and they all start to run, well everyone shoots again. Guess what>>>>.

He said the only thing the fish and game was there for is to try and get you for doing the smallest thing illegal, like standing too close to your truck when you shoot.

But the natives had no rules. The white guys had too where orange but not the natives. The white guys was told no pictures or your camera or phone would be destroyed. Why is that? because they did not want anyone to see how fu..ed up this is. Oh but the natives took pictures WTF.

This one sided bullsh.t has to stop. All this does is make the white man hate natives more and more. Why didn't our government relocate a bunch of these elk? In the long run it would make the government and retailers more money with tags and hunting supplies. A lot of white people in this province also rely on meat to feed their families, we don't get it for free. I wish I was there because I would have went to the media. Got to love our country.

My two cents like it or not!!!!:beer:

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Makes me sad when I hear this, sounds a lot like the disgusting behavior being done by our southern brothers and sisters in their "sanctioned and canned" hunts that are being talked about in the Boone n Crocket forums and such. When did ethics and a want to be a steward of the envirnment take a back burner to "I want to kill something" and don't care how I do it. "Flock" shooting into a herd of elk is by all accounts an action done by a person not worthy of carrying a firearm or hunting tags. If you read this and you are one of those people YOU SUCK!! and shouldn't be allowed to hunt or own firearms.

As for the pictures and destroying cameras, fish and wildlife wouldn't have the authority but the military police would siting some sort of national defense BS. On another note with all the crowd shooting of herded elk blaze orange over kevlar might of been a good option. Regardless I wouldn't of squaked about wearing colors as it sounds like there was way to many a$$hats out there for my liking. End of the day it was a poorly executed cull hunt with no lessons learned only politics played and the average white Canadian is again pissed off. I hate to think of how many animals suffered with bullets wounds and died or are still suffering. Kind of gives Alberta and the Fish and Wildlife program a big black eye.

I had a buddy who was lucky enough to get a cow tag, and he said the whole operation was messed up. He said 1 in 5 were wouned and left to die. Imagine people shooting into a heard of 500 plus elk and they all start to run, well everyone shoots again. Guess what>>>>.

He said the only thing the fish and game was there for is to try and get you for doing the smallest thing illegal, like standing too close to your truck when you shoot.

But the natives had no rules. The white guys had too where orange but not the natives. The white guys was told no pictures or your camera or phone would be destroyed. Why is that? because they did not want anyone to see how fu..ed up this is. Oh but the natives took pictures WTF.

This one sided bullsh.t has to stop. All this does is make the white man hate natives more and more. Why didn't our government relocate a bunch of these elk? In the long run it would make the government and retailers more money with tags and hunting supplies. A lot of white people in this province also rely on meat to feed their families, we don't get it for free. I wish I was there because I would have went to the media. Got to love our country.

My two cents like it or not!!!!:beer:

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day, dividing up a few tags wouldn't be so hard to do. Both sides hunt, both sides like trophies and both sides should have equal rights to hunt throughout each province and this country. Both sides have rules and both sides should have to adhere to both those rules as well as moral hunting practices. 150 people killed 400 bulls. Over 14,000 applied to hunt far less animals. I am sure the band would like cows, and I am sure that the other side would like bulls....

I fully understand that there is a need for population control and hw the band has these rights. In other parts of this country, band members can kill a moose, but they have to saw a line through the paddles. This proves that the intention was for subsistence and not financial gain from the antlers if they were to be sold as the value is stripped from them.

lots of ideas and thoughts....

Top Bottom