skiroule rtx racer triple cylinder free air with pipes

renegade x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say very rare, would love to see pics.Google it and you should be able to find some info.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you found one and have the chance to purchase it, you better grab it cause yes they are rare... This is about the time period when Skiroule was attempting to break into the sled and factory race market, over the course of the next year or two they started coming on strong by making a name for them selves. Then when they had Jacques Villeneuve sign on as a factory racer is when people really started to take notice of their abilities as a sled / race manufacturer...... If you can trace the record on the serial number back to see if it was a factory built sled then it's worth a ch!t load more.

found a 1971 rtx racer triple cylinder,i'm looking for infro on this sled. are they rare

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get in touch with a sled museum in Thief Falls Minnesota.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
More pics please, take a few steps back so we can see the whole sled in the picture.......

WopOnTour

Reaction score
Yea there were a few RTXs around the NWSA in the very early 70s. But mostly 440s and 800s. I think one 440 RTX even finished second at the Wetaskiwin North-Am to the L/C Brut (440cc triple) in 1973.
But I dont believe I ever seen one again on the local BC-AB-SK tracks after that.

AFAIK Skiroule didn't even offer an RTX with the 650 Sachs for retail sale at all but offered it only as a racer upfit kit. (to compete with the Speedway, Boa-Ski and Chappies) Something like the GYT kits for Yamaha GPXs.
So yes, quite rare and a very nice find. Definately worthy of a complete restoration IMO. From the photo it looks in pretty good shape,remember it's mostly just dirt and rust! But the track might be a challenge.
. Then when they had Jacques Villeneuve sign on as a factoryracer is when people really started to take notice of their abilities as a sled/ race manufacturer...... If you can trace the record on the serial number backto see if it was a factory built sled then it's worth a ch!t load more.
Actually it was the late great Gilles Villeneuve that initially signed a SnoPro deal with Skiroule in 1975 .But of course"Uncle" Jacko was ever present, (he pretty much came "bundled" with any Gilles deal)
But THAT sled was a custom Villeneuve design funded by Rejean Houle NOT an RTX.
So they actually had an IFS Skiroule racer in SnoPro a full 2 years BEFORE the infamous Midnight Express IFS RXLs! (and of course the Villeneuve Allouettes before that were also IFS including the much maligned cockpit style twin-track)
Someone found that 76 Skiroule SnoPro and restored it about 10 years back. It was in all the magazines. I'll see if I can find the article in my old boxes of Sno-Goer

WOT

PS> Found a pic of Gilles SnoPro Skiroule #3969 before and after the restoration. Jacko signed it for the restorer-a nice touch, but if I owned it I'd try to get it signed by "Little Jack" as well...

Attachments

• GILLES_SKIROULE.jpg
    GILLES_SKIROULE.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 186
  • skiroule_Gilles.jpg
    skiroule_Gilles.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 206
  • Villeneuve_3969.jpg
    Villeneuve_3969.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

WopOnTour

Reaction score
so this sachs triple would be a optional kit, or a factory race set up ?
Errrr Sorry I meant 650 Sachs not Kohler.
But no, not a factory sled but essentiallly a dealer installed upgrade kit to the 650 Sachs.
It was done basically as a showroom floor upfit,
The dealer ordered the kit directly from Skiroule in Quebec and a credit was issued for the original powerplant that went back into the dealers parts system
It came with an instructions booklet for the engine upgrade that I've seen. It included a template for cutting the hood for the pipes. (at one time I worked for the dealer in Barrhead)
With the carbs open like that after all this time DO NOT attempt to start it! (engine will have to be pulled compeltely down to prevent damage)
I sure hope you plan to fully restore this old girl
If not give me a shout
WOT

Last edited:

rtx racer

Reaction score
are you sure it is a 1971, look at the suspension , if the slide are made of two short slide about 16 inches long, it s a 1971, in 1972 the slide was a one piece slide, although you might have a 1971 with the long slide if so look at the body if you have holes that are not use, because skiroule made a recall on the 1971 model to change the suspension for the 1972 model.
in 1971 the model offerred were the 340 single cylinder sachs , the 440 with the 440r sachs, and
440 ccw engine and the 800 hirth three cylinder. in 1972 ; 340rx twin, 440rx and the 650rx and in fact the 650 was offered as a kit because they really sold just a few of them. another point is it a steel or aluminium body and for the serial number normally it is located at the rear of the body on the right side and it is stamped on an aluminium plate three inches an a half long, if you don t see it look if you have two small one eight holes three inches and a quarter apart . and where are you from, i lived in acton vale, it s a small town eight miles away from wickham

Top Bottom