Single Axle trailers pull hard

pointe_blanke

Reaction score
heya,

Why do single axle trailers pull so hard. Currently I am pulling a single axle (2500#) trailer (8x12) with three 550# atvs on it. The thing pulls like the brakes are on, which it doesnt have any. It has pulled this way since new. Do all single axle trailers pull this way? Why? Why do the twin axles pull so much easier? Also do the deck over pull harder than the car hauler type?

Lots of questions in here which is great cause I am looking for answers.

Pointe

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check your tire wear, there maybe a axle issue, is it the same with the trailer empty?? what is your tow unit, with a small truck towing 1650# plus gear may be working the engine and it might feel like the brakes are on..just some things to check.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With 3 ATV's on a single axle, you probably have exceeded your tongue weight on the trailer and the truck(Usually 500 lbs on a 2" ball). The imbalance on the trailer will make it front heavy and pull hard. Try pulling it with just 2 ATV's centered over the axle and see how it pulls.
If nothing is wrong with the trailer, you will notice the difference.

Depending on the ATV's, 550lbs may be a light "wet" weight. A conservative 600lbs each with any mud, fuel, packs, racks, etc and I bet you have over 700 lbs tongue weight. Now add 3 people and gear, truck fuel tank of full and it will pull hard(especially a 1/2 ton).

Way too much load up front for that size of trailer. If it doesn't have a full frame, and most factory 8x12's don't, you will risk bending the trailer. Just cause they fit on the deck, don't mean it's right. Extra axle distributes the weight on the trailer, and they pull way easier. Axle configuration on a car hauler (placement on length of frame) is different to accomadate hauling a vehicle with most of it's weight at the front of the trailer (motor, cab). High deck or frame over will have the axles slightly further back on the frame.

My $0.02

Last edited:

pointe_blanke

Reaction score
Great reply, this is the stuff that I am looking for. I need ammunition to purchase a different trailer.

Now a question is car hauler type, or 4 place flatdeck type?

Pointe

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would go with the flat deck type as to much space lost with a car hauler type.

pointe_blanke

Reaction score
From what UTurn has replied, isnt the car hauler type going to be less weight on the tongue? I am pulling with 2003 F150 Supercrew 4x4 or 1999 VGH27.

I look at the flat decks and they seem sooo long in the front.

Pointe

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good point but you can get different axle placements to rectify that problem.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your axle might be on backwards, check your toe in with it unload. We have a pretty new tandem axle goose neck trailer at work and both axles were on backwards. Didn't show signs of wear on the tires,.. and it pulled really hard.

Cumminsnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have the money I'd go with a car hauler that has the deck over the wheels. They cost more but work great for hauling quads/sleds or cars.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Car haulers are narrow between the wheels, so you lose lots of space. They are also low to the ground for loading, so clearance can be a problem. I would go with a deck over wheels for extra space. Should be lots of open 4 place trailers kicking around for a reasonable price.

SlickRock

Reaction score
I too have a single axel and routinely pull two ATV's and a lot of camping accessories, the generator is right on the tung. I would agree that if your trailer is new you may have a toe in issue. I run a 800 canam, a 500 Rubicon and all the camping gear so it must be around 2400lbs It's a snowmobile trailer so it has the axle quite a ways back.
If when it is loaded you make fairly thick chalk mark across the width of the tire and pull the trailer straight for a few hundred yards you should be able to tell if your trailer has toe in issues.

Second thing I would check is the grease in the wheel bearings. My brother complained of a tough pull with his trailer and a few weeks later he found out what a broken axle looked like. Maybe a bit of a stretch but consider it.

If you are going to look at a new trailer and are considering a cover unit, I'd recommend a axle flip right off the bat to avoid rubbing, you can probably buy one or better yet get a covered snowmobile trailer. At least with a covered unit you don't have to worry about theft as much.

Those are my two cents, use em or loose em, hope they bring you luck!

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check the underside of the wheel wells had the same thing happen everything looks fine loaded but as you pickup speed the down force on the trailer causes the tires to rub on the deck

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have noticed what many don't. I pulled my 2 place sled trailer all over the place. Used it for the sleds, Quads and hunting. Loaded or not a single axle trailer will pull harder, It's a nature of the beast. Do the same thing you are doing now with a tandem, you will find that it pulls much better. Alot easier. I went to a three place deck last year, and I pull it over the place doing the same things that I did with my 2 place. It pulls like a dream. It doesn't dive into corners and into heaves in the road. You will notice a huge difference especially at higher speeds. Good luck..

Cumminsnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I too use mine for everything I've even and both my quads on it and my sled and pulled it with the wifes escape, it's a 2 place SWS. It pulls easy even loaded but I don't set my wheel bearings up to much I lean more to the loose side I also added bearing buddies and give them a little grease once and awhile. I'd check your bearings to see if there set to tight and check for tow in. When you pull your trailer is it level? As it might play a part.

Top Bottom