Sheds

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it cheaper to build a shed or buy a pre packaged unit from one of the big chain stores? Nothing fancy, more for function than fanciness.
I seriously lack storage in the new house we moved into. Apparently there were 2 beautiful sheds, but they were burnt down after a whole grow op bust thing.. long story..
Anyways what are your thoughts?

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is cheaper to build your own shed if you don't include your time to do it.

gdvross

Reaction score
It is probably cheaper to buy a package unit than custom built. Most packages are under 100 sq. feet because of tax rules I think. We built a 120 sq foot shed a few years ago and it cost at least 50% more than a typical package at least.But it has higher walls , siding, roof truss system. Good luck with your build .

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I just finished a 10'x16' shed for a client. It is a nice shed; 2 PVC windows, 6' overhead door, man door, metal roof, and vinyl siding. It was built on concrete piles and had a treated lumber floor system.

Probably quite a bit of over-kill for what you want.

The framing package (not including the siding) including the metal roof was $2100. Alberta prices with just GST.

If those HomeDepot sheds have a treated wood floor, put one on a trailer and haul it home. Much cheaper than having one built. Also, check on the roof trusses for
that heavy snow load in your area.

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it is much cheaper to build yourself provided you have all the tools already and dont have to go buy them, I built a 8 foot wide by 6 foot deep barn style shed two years ago, just for my lawnmorwer and garden hoses, etc....a 2x4 is like $2.00 at home depot and some 12 sheets of OSB total cost was under $500, untill I vinyl sided it, thats was another $150 Also I used screws no nails except for the shingles vinyl.

Home hardware/totem sells packages but you need to paint or do some siding to the out side, they are not 100 complete. They look ok though, good prices....

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We just built a 6X10 shed package from Totem, full vinyl siding and good shingles and it was $1000 all in. Looks very good and should last for quite a few years.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I built my 10 x 12 shed for about $1100 with shingles, 3/4 inch treated floor and home depot has some exterior boarding I used to sheet it,, I also framed a small window but got lazy and didnt cut it out so maybe one day I still have the window lol...

what I didnt like about the packages for the same money was the lil wee door and they were like 7x8 or just a bit bigger and just a bit too small, I also have 6and half ft walls so ya can walk around and actualy fill the lil shed,

have fun building

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ohh one other thing,, the build it your self packages seem not bad in pricing from the big storees but they use 1x2 instead of 2x4's so they may not hold up as long.. and all hardware lumber in the kit is like c grade lol...

I dont think they even come with anything to build them on so consider what you want to sit it on,,

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have bought a HD shed before & added a few extra ribbings to make it longer. My last one I built myself, used an angle finder to make my own trusses. I also used some light gauge steel stud & track, it's about 10x20. With a 2' & a 4' swing doors to open individually or together. It cost me about $800 done and complete.

If your handy with angles & off cuts, I would say do it yourself. If not the pre framed ones do work great & will stand up to all types of weather. But as Johny_ mentioned they are framed lighter than if you do it yourself. If you sheet the interior they are just as strong.

Sent from someone else's phone using Tapatalk

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure where you're located, but the Hutterite colony on the way to westlock build a really decent shed for very reasonable cost

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure where you're located, but the Hutterite colony on the way to westlock build a really decent shed for very reasonable cost

reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_highpos.png
reputation_highpos.png
reputation_highpos.png
reputation_highpos.png
reputation_highpos.png
reputation_highpos.png

Join DateNov 2008LocationWynndel BCPosts6,357

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
depends entirely. the bigger they get the better to do it yourself the smaller the more cost effective to buy.....i would keep your eyes on kijiji and craigslist for someone looking to have one removed, usually if you move it they will sell it cheap....i looked into this a while ago and found that for anything 10x10 or less you might as well buy a kit....by the time you factor in roofing, siding, ect. it becomes very close in price and doesnt take any of your time. so if you are going to do it yourself go bigger and its more worth the $ and time

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
please before you go any further make sure you get cyle approval or it will be shheeet. just ask bucky he almost had to tear his house down. poor guy may still be living on the streets.

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ohh one other thing,, the build it your self packages seem not bad in pricing from the big storees but they use 1x2 instead of 2x4's so they may not hold up as long.. and all hardware lumber in the kit is like c grade lol...

I dont think they even come with anything to build them on so consider what you want to sit it on,,

We looked at packages at Co-op, Home Depot, Rona and Totem and all of them are all 2X4 construction. The only parts smaller on the package we got is the 1X3 trim for around the corners if you don't put siding on.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
convienience costs plain and simple... for a package you will pay a bit more but consider your time investment as well... like plio said the bigger you go the cheaper to do it yourself time is money in any building project, Arlene and I built our deck ourselves...cost $3200, contractor would have charged $10k....So if 2X4 8' STUDS ARE $1.89 Each 16" on center you need 72 (8' 2x4's) for a 10 x 16 in the walls, probaby another 16 (12' x2x4) and 32 (8' 2x4) for truss 12 sheets of 4x8x 1/2" plywood and another 10 sheets for roofing then doors & windows and finishing supply... SO

104 x $2.49 =$258.96
16 x $4.52 = $72.32
32 x $2.49 = $79.68
PT 1/2" plywood 22@ $22 each = $484

So for $894.96 the raw material to build a 10 x 16 is there... then say it's another $1000 to finish.... under $2K for a 10 x 16....

Now if you tell Kev to get a job with a construction company my 16 x 32 barn insulated and sheeted cost me about $500 all in...crack the whip trish...Just sayin...

Last edited:

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's pretty much right on the mark Ian. I built a 10'x14' for close to $2000. That included 3 treated 6"x6" skids, siding, shingles, and wiring, shelving along one side, and the floor is treated 2"x6"'s laying flat with 1/2" plywood screwed on top. I went with a 2"x8" ridge board instead of doing conventional rafters to gain that extra 2' of height inside. The trouble with packages is that you still have to do some fit and finish work, and you don't really get what you want.

Top Bottom