Secondary Clutch Help!!

creed50158

Reaction score
I have been trying to remove the secondary clutch on my wifes 96 polaris xlt touring sled. I have used PC Blaster and a gear puller and stil can't get it to move, what else can I try? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!:mad:

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You need to get a second guy involved...get a pry bar behind it with strong steady pressure and whack the helix with a rubber mallot..its rusted in place...that may break it free

creed50158

Reaction score
so I dont need a special puller ?? right now I have the sled on its side soaking in PB blaster hoping to break it free.

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you do not need a special puller...what it needs is a shock to break the rust..(in my opinion) but make sure it is a rubber mallet...it needs a good whack combined with real pressure from a crow bar..it is almost impossible by yourself..to do both...I am pretty sure its a rust problem...

creed50158

Reaction score
Thanks alot for all the imput, will do. The snow is coming down here right now. YESSSS!!!!

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the pulley has bound it self to the jackshaft (corrossion). I had an older ZR that I unfortunately experienced the same problem. Tried everythig to sepparate the driven from the shaft. Even heat from an acetalene torch.. no go. :confused:

I ended up removing the secondary and the jack shaft in one piece and pressing them appart in a hydrolic press at my dads shop. Worked fine once all was apart :) It's a pain to do but better then bending chit with a pry bar and still not busting them loose, or pounding things with a hammer.

In the future... remove your primary and secondary clutches at least once a year and lube with oem recommended antibinding agents like Coppercoat?? Can't remember the product names but do your research... saves the hasstle later.

creed50158

Reaction score
I appreciate all the info. I have been letting it sit on its side soaking in PB Blaster and will try pulling it one more time. if no go I will take the whole thing apart. I dont want to heat it up cause that will weaking the shaft.

Top Bottom