Scalp Creek?

OfstieR

Reaction score
Has anyone been into Scalp Creek before??

I've been into Ranger creek, onion, sugar bowl ect. - Always looked at scalp creek on the Forest Land Use Zone map and wanted to check it out.... havn't had a chance yet though.....

I guess you used to be able to stage past the Yaha-tinda ranch but now you can't..... I guess you have to unload way back west of Seven mile flats... can't remember the name of the trail you ride in on.... but it looks like you get pretty far back in the hills....

just wondering if it would be worth a ride to check it out??

Thanks

OfstieR

Reaction score
Hmmmmmm ......... guess everyone is in the same boat as me........ well If anyone is interested, I think I'm going to ride in there with the Girlfriend on Saturday (Jan.10)..... probably won't be a lot of snow and we'll probably do some rock bashing on the way in, but I think it will be a nice trail ride in there and will be neat just to check it out and see what its like...

If anyone is interested in coming to check it out let me know...

Rob @ (403)845-9207

OfstieR

Reaction score
Did you make it out to Scalp creek?

Hey there

Made it into Scalp creek on Sunday -

We went west of caroline, trunk road wasn't plowed over Corkscrew mountain, went up a little ways in 4x4 but almost got stuck so unoaded and road over the rest of corscrew.... long ways in unloading from there!

Snow was decent through the trees and on all the trails.... Had to cross the Clearwater a couple times way back in there..... pretty deep in a couple places...

As soon as we got back to where the valley opens up and you get above the trees, it was SOOO windswept there was litterally NO SNOW!

It was crazy.... the snow just dissapeared as soon as we got back to the big mountains.... just a few snow patches here and there....

so ya definetly needs way more snow yet ... but it was a pretty trail ride in there....

140 KM's round trip from Corkscrew mountain.... I've got a couple pictures but they are too big to post them here... I can' email them if anyone wants to see them...

better wait till we get some big dumps of snow before trying that again....

spike7ss

Reaction score
So its no better than the hummingbird, same story, there was a little bit of snow in the trees, but as soon as you were in the open areas, it was all gone.

freejay

Reaction score
There is a road that cuts around the east side of Corkscrew mountain from the Caroline highway to the trunk road. I think it was put in and maintained by Sunpine (sawmills) I used it 3 or 4 summers ago to go to ram falls and it seemed pretty decent then, not sure if it would be plowed in the winter or not. It does have gates on both ends but I imagine if one is open they both are. My group has been thinking about heading out to that area.

P.S. How far would the ride be if you were able to drive right to Cutoff creek?

dakota5

Reaction score
Both gates arent always open. I have went through there in the spring, only to get to the other end and find a locked gate.

Top Bottom