Rotary Snowmobile Engine

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Years ago when Mazda used the Wankel rotary in the RX7 I have been aware at how good the technology was. For some reason people didn't embrace it. I think there were small issues back then.

Looks like it's making a come back.

I read an article the other night about the rotary gaining popularity again. Possible use in a snowmobile! A company called Freedom Motors has been improving the designs and building them for various applications.

Direct injection
Lighter weight and smaller size to other engines of comparable HP
Really low emmissions and fuel consumption
Lower manufacturing and maintenance costs than a 2 stroke
Almost vibration free
Much lower sound levels than 2 stroke

Check out their website. Rotapower is the one used for recreational vehicles. Look at the applications section. Jet ski, jet boat and generator caught my attention. Amazing how small and lightweight they can make them and produce big power. All with much lower fuel consumption, emissions, vibration and noise. Lower maintenance!

"•Superior Emissions Performance - Recent tests verified by CARB that the Rotapower engine operating with gasoline produces less than 1% of the emissions of a comparable two-stroke and 14% of those for the four-stroke piston engine. The Rotapower engine uses a fuel delivery approach that eliminates the highly carcinogenic particulates produced by direct fuel injected diesel engines and new lower emissions two-stroke engines.
•Outstanding Compact Power Delivery - Power to weight ratio for the Rotapower engine is 75% better than two-stroke engines, 250% better than four-stroke piston gasoline engines and 600% better than diesel engines. It has been operated successfully on gasoline, kerosene, alcohol, diesel and natural gas. With only two moving parts, cost and maintenance are projected at well below four stroke piston engines."

Would make an awesome generator for sure..........future snowmobile engine??!! Rumour has it.............

Welcome to FREEDOM MOTORS

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a crew over on Snowest working on a rotary powered AC sled several years ago....don't know what became of it.

Found this: Scroll down...

Last edited:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cat used wankel rotary engines in the early '70s in a few models.

A few sled manufacturers did. There have been significant changes to the designs since.

It looks really promising.

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup, have one of those bad boys in the showroom, just missing the rewind.

Attachments

• DSC00457.jpg
    DSC00457.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC00460.jpg
    DSC00460.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 225

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a crew over on Snowest working on a rotary powered AC sled several years ago....don't know what became of it.

Found this: Scroll down...

Nice find!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few sled manufacturers did. There have been significant changes to the designs since.

It looks really promising.
I can remember reading about them, and there were issues with heat. the header pipe would glow red

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:d Instead of biotching about yur 2 stroke, you could biotch about yur Funkin Wankel!!

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting was talking to a guy in Milage couple of weeks back that got a 950 bb for his XP from Ralph, and this topic came up and Ralph at slit second is working on a rotary motor for a sled so the guy was saying as he was helping me dig myself out.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks promising and to be the ticket for a mountain sled, light, compact, powerful and low emissions.

I wonder if any of the big 4 will take a look at this setup?

Top Bottom