RMK rebuild

meridian

Reaction score
I just picked up a 2005 RMK 900 with a 159 . The previous owner clipped a log and bent both control arms and broke a shock. Sled has 4300 km on it and is completely stock.

So at first I was just going to ebay the parts to get it up and going but now I want to possibly do the 09 updates.

Will updateing the suspension really be noticable?

Also looking at SPL torque arm/push arm , SLP pipe and can, not sure what intake yet. Possibly side vents.

I live in Fort McMurray and will only be going to the mountains twice a year .

Just lookin for a few ideas.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely update the spindles. I put 08 spindles on mine and it made a huge difference in handling on the trails. With the stock spindles the sled felt like it was going to push right through the corners and into the trees.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
at that many km's you need to seriously look at the engine. at the least re-ring the pistons and hone the cross hatch back in.

meridian

Reaction score
Anything else to look at other than rings? I was told that it had a crank update with piston and rings at 3600km so it should only have 700km since. Ive heard fairy tales like that before so not really to impressed yet.

Doing a compression test tommorow to check for now.

Also showing a servce signal on gauge? Sled has been sitting for almost a year and a half.

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like Polarblu said definitely have a good look at the engine/ Crank get all updates done there is lots of info on these sleds on many forms on modifications updates and what to look out for, the list is long so do lots of reading you will find out soon enough the 1st things you want to do to the 05 900.
Don’t get the wrong idea what people say about the 05 900 the thing can be an animal once set up properly, if you’re somewhat mechanically inclined, No problem
I have a used SLP Can and a set of screen vents, real cheep if you’re interested, send me a pm I can ship out of Calgary to you.

meridian

Reaction score
So far I havent seen much to scare me off the project yet. Sure is lots of good info on snowest forum.

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LoL... well.... if Need pic's here are a few mods on my 05 900 166 over the past few years.
1st off it had a brand new crank and motor when I bought it used the dealer that sold it to me said he never knew when he had taken it on trade he found out a few days after we loaded it up, Lucky me. The NOS was already on it, and I have never filled the bottle yet a few times I wish I had of because when you get a 900 stuck you need friends!

*Added "The Thing Can" took off the SLP
DSC02600.jpg

* Up dated the Spindles to 08
DSC01905.jpg

* Put Some Powder Pro Skis on
DSC01903.jpg

*Removed all the plastics off the tunnel, did a little mod there.
DSC01882.jpg

*Added a aftermarket rear bumper and rear seat support with cover.
DSC02210.jpg

*WRP Running boards, had to get rid of the snow the build up was bad in the Deep.
DSC02606-2.jpg

* Vent the heck out of it! If there is a vent out there availiable, slap it on the 900's make alot of heat. I did the Gill Vents on the Sides
IMGP0461.jpg

* Replaced the SLP Air box with a Fire N Ice Intake If your going to change the front bumper you got to get rid of the SLP Box.
DSC02592.jpg

* There are a few options out there on Bumpers This is a SKINZ (SPG) works well.
DSC02594.jpg

*Clutching Spring & Gearing, Red/ Pink Spring with 10/74 and 18/ 39 on the Chain.
DSC02596.jpg

*last season went on a Float Plate and Head light Vent kit works well with the Fire N Ice air intake.
IMGP0450.jpg

IMGP0452-1.jpg

A Few Extras
*Fat Boyz Frenchie Oil Cable.( FBF)
*Comp Fusion Motor Mounts.
*PolzinHunter Chain Case cover & stearing Post Support ( both out in the Shop Going on next week)

Well Have Fun! Thanks I just added up what I have spent on this, need a beer now!

meridian

Reaction score
Here is my mess.

Attachments

• IMG_1771.jpg
    IMG_1771.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_1777.jpg
    IMG_1777.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_1776.jpg
    IMG_1776.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 325

meridian

Reaction score
Heres the actual problem so far

Attachments

• IMG_1768.jpg
    IMG_1768.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_1774.jpg
    IMG_1774.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_1773.jpg
    IMG_1773.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_1772.jpg
    IMG_1772.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_1770.jpg
    IMG_1770.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_1769.jpg
    IMG_1769.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 301

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With claimed 700 km since a rebuild, I would do a compression test and if it turns out good, leave it. Your service light at start up is probably the maintenance reminder... get a look at the owners manual at Polaris Files it will show you how to use the multi function display including how to reset the service reminder light or disable it.

The 08 spindles or the Holtz spindles are supposed to make a huge difference from the stock 05's. If you weight over 180 dressed to ride, a 225lb front track shock spring is also a good buy.

Primary clutch health and balance is crucial to keeping your crank in one piece on the 9's. Consider sending out the clutch for a checkover / rebuild if necessary. Have your belt to sheave clearance set for the belt you plan to run.... the 1115 belt is recommended, and have the clutch balanced by a good shop that does dual plane balancing.
Indy Specialties would be the best.

Check your intake boots carefully, they get cracked quickly from heat off the y-pipe. Replace them and wrap as much of the boot as you can with layers of aluminum heat tape

The oil pump cables are known to fray and/or stick. The cheap fix is to make sure your cable is good, and add a helper spring to help return the pump to idle position.
There is an aftermarket cable setup that works well to eliminate this... search for the user FatBoyzFrenchie on snowest, he makes them.

The motor mounts are known to fatigue early, especially the fronts. You usually can't see the cracks until you lay the mounts over in a vice.
Replace front mounts with the updated 2006 mounts, or even better... search for the user COMPFUSION on snowest... he makes a set of nice aftermarket front mounts.

You can never spend enough time checking, rechecking, and giving the wiring love on these sleds. Lots of places that wires rub, and some wires just break inside the insulation.
Research how to make your own TPS tester. Learn how to do this! They are usually out and can cause alot of reverse, idle, and throttle response issues.

Buy a Fire N Ice air box kit or at least remove the baffles from inside your stock box. Extra intake vents on the console / headlight pod helps alot for the deep pow.
The stock airbox blocks airflow around the clutches pretty badly. The Timbersled intake is also popular but I don't like that it draws air from underhood.

If you ever have your engine out of the chassis.....
look around at the recoil housing bolts, there are 2 at the bottom that are impossible to get at with the engine installed. While the engine is out, figure out which bolts you need to leave out. Now if you have pull start issues in the future, you wont have to remove the engine on the trail!:rolleyes:
While your in there, replace the pull cord with Armorcord

The rider select sacks out and gets loose quickly, some have even broken. Search the user POLZINHUNTER on snowest, he makes a delete kit that is solid. On a budget you can cross drill a hole through the whole assebly and lock it with a bolt. If you look under the console you should be able to picture what I mean.

That's the big stuff off the top of my head as far as reliability goes. This stuff basically takes care of the big issues Polaris didn't fix.
It's a shame they gave up on this engine, nothing makes torque like a long stroke 2 smoker.I love my 900, will keep it for years after I buy a new machine. It's definitely not for someone who doesn't like some wrenching, but if you have the skills they are great bang for the buck since they usually sell for cheap.

meridian

Reaction score
Thanks Dan. Looks like I am headed in the right direction. Just brought home a box of goodies, basically an entire 05 in a big rubbermaid container.

PARTS LIST :

Engine, heads, recoil, heat exchange, throttle body, intake, fuel pump, handlebars, upper/lower a-arms, tie rods, steering shaft, oil pump, power valves, chain case, instrument cluster, injectors, y-pipe, slp pipe/can, shocks, spindles, brake, rider controls, motor mounts, rear skid.

These are all stock parts that came off a sled that blew the crank and took out one cylinder. I only needed the shocks and a-arms but I'm a sucker for other peoples junk.

meridian

Reaction score
Ordered a new arm from Polaris for the right lower.

Looks like all the parts that I got were from an 05 anniversary with a 166. So anyone looking for a 166 skid let me know.

The cylinder head is also a broze colour and not red like mine. Dont really know what thats all about but it seems to be in good shape. No pitting or noticable hot spots.

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ordered a new arm from Polaris for the right lower.

Looks like all the parts that I got were from an 05 anniversary with a 166. So anyone looking for a 166 skid let me know.

The cylinder head is also a broze colour and not red like mine. Dont really know what thats all about but it seems to be in good shape. No pitting or noticable hot spots.

The gold cylinder head is part of the anniversary edition. No difference otherwise. Happy building!

xcya

Reaction score
Like Polarblu said definitely have a good look at the engine/ Crank get all updates done there is lots of info on these sleds on many forms on modifications updates and what to look out for, the list is long so do lots of reading you will find out soon enough the 1st things you want to do to the 05 900.
Don’t get the wrong idea what people say about the 05 900 the thing can be an animal once set up properly, if you’re somewhat mechanically inclined, No problem
I have a used SLP Can and a set of screen vents, real cheep if you’re interested, send me a pm I can ship out of Calgary to you.

I would be intarested in the vents if you still have them? call 780-278-7669

meridian

Reaction score
Countdown to teardown 6 hrs and counting..............

Hopefully I do not become to discouraged with what I find but I have searched the crap out of all the threads and know what I am getting myself into.

After today I will have a long list of updates, and mods to begin. Now where exactly I get to start on that list will soon reveal itself. Stopping by the dealer to run the serial number to see what updates have been actuall done ( fuel tank, crank, fuel filter, recoil, motor mounts )

Fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d

Jasons

Reaction score
Hey there meridian, might be interested in the 166 skid, and track if you have them. Let me know some more details, what other parts you have. Thanks

meridian

Reaction score
:headbanger:It has been a bit since I gave an update, so here it goes........................

My 05 is another victim of a piston skirt to fail. :nono:

On the previous ride the sled ran exceptional on its maiden voyage other than it boiled over just before the truck as I was towing a 09 XP. Since the gauges were working sparatic I really dont know what the tempeatures were.

It started any idled great on the next ride for about 1 mile before lack of power caused me to shut it down.

Once a compression test was done, and cylinders were removed this is what was found.

The left piston skirt had a piece fall off on the back side. Looks like it bounces around with most of it being blown out the exhaust. Some pitting on the head and rings were siezed. Possibility of poor oiling to cause the rings to seize, excess heat causing the skirt to fail????

The cylinders still have crosshatching in them and a very small bit of nikasil wearing near the exhaust port.

How do I tell if it actually has an updated crank?

Looks like it will be a total rebuild and summer project.

Top Bottom