Rhino 650 mount

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a handle bar mount and figured it'd sit too high so I mounted my GPS mount on the riser. First try discovered not enough threads so a thick piece of rubber and voila! Just figured some people might want to see.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354067367.724053.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354067378.861296.jpg

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice job - looks good and is easy to see/touch

I used the same ram mount system but put mine on the inside of the riser to help protect it during rollover (haha)
also the ram mount will allow the GPS to move with out breaking the GPS or mount system...

I use the Garmin Montana -- mounted on the Garmin power base (connected to sled battery) -- mounted to the ram mount -- mounted to the factory riser

The Montana runs with backlight on all the time and is very easy to see/read.

Last edited:

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a handle bar mount and figured it'd sit too high so I mounted my GPS mount on the riser. First try discovered not enough threads so a thick piece of rubber and voila! Just figured some people might want to see.

View attachment 142505

View attachment 142506

One problem with the Garmin 650 (touch screen) VS the older Grmin 530hcx (when 650 is exposed to high winds moving past it is that the touch screen will not repond)
If you have this problem that a tight fitting baggy and put a foot warmer in it -- then slide the baggy over the rhino -- baggy keeps the wind and snow/water off the foot warmer...foot warmer will keep the screen warm and working while the baggy is clear to see through

Last edited:

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just switching to the 655t from the530hcx this year, on my summit. I mount it off the dash. So it's protected by the bars when it rolls over. I will post a pic when I can, has worked great. I run with the back light on all the time. I have been using Garmin gps on my sleds for over ten years, I'm hoping the new touch screen will work ok. Heard last year a few were having trouble in the cold, some were not. I put mine on first thing in he morning and it's there untill I park in the trailer

Gddyup

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I mounted mine low on the sled , did not want it to rip off when roles over by choice or by accident .

4E64ABAB-811B-4864-80AE-BCBA68403B2F-2729-00000723A0B4A297.jpg

Thats a good spot for it. I couldn't figure out where else to mount it so this should work. I'm going to tie it somehow to the handle bars so that if the mount does break the GPS stays with the sled.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I leave my GPS in my chest pocket...batteries last a bunch longer when it is kept somewhat warm.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2.....it's there if I need it, tried mounting it once, have to stop to read it anyway, so this way batties last the whole day easy....

Unfortunately the downfall to the Snowpulse Protech Vest Avy Bag is that you cannot fit it in an easily accessible pocket. Only other option was in the bag itself and thats a pain in the bum. So mount it was.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No issues with battery not lasting or screen freezing last weekend in Silent. Will test it out again this weekend in Revy.

wakeandsnow

Reaction score
X3..... Never had an issue with satellite tracking either.

x4.... I use a speaker mic with my Rhino or my VHF that's attached to my ABS shoulder strap so I can hear a call while I'm riding and quickly respond. We've had two incidents in the last couple years that required immediate responses...... If you're cutting turns at full throttle you won't hear your radio in your chest pocket...... Most speaker mics go really loud.

And when you make a boo boo and take the bars in your chest, say good bye to your nice touch screen.... A good friend of mine smashed his camera that was in his chest pocket last year.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Always keep my radios in my handlebar bag. That way hopefully if I do get caught in an avy I separate from my sled and the radio won't cause interference with my transceiver.

Boobage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Question:
When riding with friends that have same radio does it constantly update their location or do they have to push a button to show you their location?

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Question:
When riding with friends that have same radio does it constantly update their location or do they have to push a button to show you their location?
If they have location sharing on, it will update every 30 seconds or so. It will also send their location when they talk on the radio.

Top Bottom