Rewind Starter WEar and Tear

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What parts on these things normally wear out. Mine only catches every so often. I see skidoo sells a rebuild kit for 180ish but surely i only need 1 or 2 pieces and a cleaniing, not a complete new starter rewind. So far i got the "pawl" looks worn out and the locking ring on the end is not as tight as it should be. Anyone who has rebuilt these have any ideas on parts??

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive done two and both were paul. Both times there was a groove worn on the little cog that catches the starter. Probably that is all that needs to be changed. Mines starting to slip again already. Works good when cold and slips a lot more as things warm up.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a whole new recoil is only 180$. so not sure what rebuild kit your speaking of?

eiiter way just replace the pawl. dont bother with anything else. you can replace all the guts but at the end of the day its not going to work as good as the new one for 180$.

if the pawl doesnt do the trick i always just replace it because its well worth it.

but if your not having issues just replace the pawl.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fernie snow us city folk need the pull start to keep us in shape hahha

e start seems nice but hate buying and dealing with batteries ya there only $90 but still

and these e tecs start so easy its all good,, I also never had an issue with carbed sleds most times I could get them to fire furst pull after sitting up side down for minutes....

I think some guys rip at their cords too much,, I load a lil pressure then just a smooth short stroke never go past 3/4 when strating see some guys wind up like its a 1400cc in -30

never ripped on off my doo's but one day had a buddy rding my spare big ol tuffer guy ya know,, first thing in the am watching him pull that sled I was about say woa dont need to rip it to the end then poof......

that battery must weigh 9lbs with gear and starter lol

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure what went in mine but stopped by bow with the recoil unit and the foreman had it working in ten minutes no charge ?? that was on a 07 same same I think??

Top Bottom