rev 800 hard start when warm

sledcruiser

Reaction score
I'm really not trying to be an ass here, and I'm not saying that 75 isn't really low and likely means a top end. I'm just trying to point out that when you run a compression test it should be with the throttle wide open, unobstructed airway, and three good pulls. I can think of a few other things as well, like test cold and warm, pull plugs out of other cylinders, good way to find out if you've got head gasket bleed between cylinders, say on a tripple.

dont worry man, its all good. i apreciate the info!!

sledcruiser

Reaction score
changed the heater relay... sled starts first pull. unreall........ hand warmers even seem to work better :p

thnx guys

rotaxrider

Reaction score
Definitely need to hold throttle wide open 75 psi would not likely run you would have to show me b4 I would believe that

Clares240

Reaction score
I'm curious too, B. By the way if I'm reading your post properly I'm thinking you have a couple of 1000 summit's, I too own a 1000, as well as an older 800. The varying degrees of usefulness comment gives me a chuckle, in my case usefulness comes down to ability, and reality is I'm alot better at working on them then I seem to be at riding them, at least in my opinion. But they get me out there, and I have alot of fun doing that.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm curious too, B. By the way if I'm reading your post properly I'm thinking you have a couple of 1000 summit's, I too own a 1000, as well as an older 800. The varying degrees of usefulness comment gives me a chuckle, in my case usefulness comes down to ability, and reality is I'm alot better at working on them then I seem to be at riding them, at least in my opinion. But they get me out there, and I have alot of fun doing that.

Mine aren't too bad. It was a pull and go season last year until the crank went in the spring. This winter has been pull and go as well after the rebuild.

sledcruiser

Reaction score
went out to harp yesterday. sled ran awesome! started first pull every time after we stopped. the "un-ported track" mod and the pilot 6.9s were a nice addition to this weeks ride aswell ;)

BIB

Reaction score
Glade it was the easy fix. I would like to know how many guys are replacing pistons and rings and the like when all they need is a $5.00 relay

sledcruiser

Reaction score
not yet, parts just came in today. im going to do another compression test, trottle open as previously suggested. one warm one cold.

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an '09 800 so I'm really curious on your findings... compression tests hot and cold.... and throttle wide open.... keep us posted.... :)

Clares240

Reaction score
Between my brother and I we own 6 sleds, but nothing newer than an 05, and with verying degrees of usefulness. And amongst all my brothers we own numerous motorcycles 2 and 4 strokes, dirt and street. I still own a 78 rm 250, amongst many others, hobby horse I call it, for suspension reasons. Anyway, what I'm thinking about here is that, I guess I may have opened a can of worms about the compression testing discussion. When I'm working on things I try to rule out everything I can think of before I start thinking top end. What's the possible condition of the head gasket, ( recent problem with a mountain max) etc. etc. etc. Tell the truth I'm still working on an old Summit 500 that doesn't like me much, but I'll beat it sooner or later. Anyway, good luck cruiser, and like gold is asking keep us posted, I for one will be watching.

sledcruiser

Reaction score
Hey guys,

sorry for the delay i finally got some numbers.

sled has 125 on bothe when cold/throttle open/5 big pulls

uggh...

when warm with throttle open and 5 big pulls

left side 105
right side 110

boo-urns :(

i really didnt want to re-check as the sled is running and preforming good right now. but after last weekend at the end of the day all my buddies and i raced and i was dead last by alot. guess top end is a go.

Dan

Clares240

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear you got better results on your compression tests, I like that, sorry to hear you were dead last by alot. Myself I wouldn't have been involved and therefore would have continued to be happy that I'm still running and maybe could get to the end of the season before I tore her down. Lots wouldn't though, at the first indication that the buddy's have an advantage their in there turning and torqueing.

sledcruiser

Reaction score
i still think i will use the sled till the end of the season. although i can use my spare rev while i do the motor on this one?

Top Bottom