Remembrance Day - Nov 11/09

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Remembrance Day commemorates Canadians who died in the First and Second World Wars, and the Korean War. It is held every November 11.

* The first Remembrance Day was conducted in 1919 throughout the Commonwealth. Originally called Armistice Day, it commemorated the end of the First World War on Monday, November 11, 1918, at 11 a.m.: the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month.

* From 1923 to 1931, Armistice Day was held on the Monday of the week in which November 11 fell. Thanksgiving was also celebrated on this day.

* In 1931, MP Allan Neill introduced a bill to hold Armistice Day on a fixed day - November 11. During the bill's introduction, it was decided the word "Remembrance" would be used instead of "Armistice." The bill passed and Remembrance Day was first conducted on November 11, 1931. Thanksgiving Day was moved to October 12 that year.

* The poppy is the symbol of Remembrance Day. Replica poppies are sold by the Royal Canadian Legion to raise money for Veterans.

Lets not forget....

remembrance-poppy-badge.gif

Shitfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Remembrance Day - Nov 11/08

have never missed one moment of silence on the 11/11/11, never will.:beer:

Attachments

• Soldier1.JPG
    Soldier1.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 38

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Both grandfathers served in the second world war. when they passed away they both had military funerals for them. I will never forget what they did and the ones who stood beside them!
My one grandfather never spoke much about it but grandma told me he was there on D-day and service for a year after he was with Royal Winnipeg Rilfes. They have both passed on now but I remember both of them twice a year.:canadaflag:

ftguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

As a retired member of the Canadian Armed Forces and former president of the Royal Canadian Legion this is a special time for me and my family. Here is a link to my favorite song at this time of year....it says a lot.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning "WE WILL REMEMBER THEM"

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca

BOTH MY GRANDPA'S, AND SEVERAL UNCLES AND MY WIFES FATHER WERE IN WWII AND ALL WERE INVOLVED IN D-DAY...... THEY HAVE ALL PASSED ON SINCE, BUT THEY WILL ALWAYS BE REMEMBERED!
:flagca::flagca::patriot::patriot::clap2:

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You know i hate to have to say it but i think no one has an excuse not to stop and honor these great and men and women who have gave their lives in order to give us freedom.

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Today We Remember!:canadaflag:

joesled

Reaction score
Remembrance Day

To all the war vets who both gave and risked their lives for our freedom.We thank you.

Twisted Boost

Biggest Poster
Reaction score

BOTH MY GRANDPA'S, AND SEVERAL UNCLES AND MY WIFES FATHER WERE IN WWII AND ALL WERE INVOLVED IN D-DAY...... THEY HAVE ALL PASSED ON SINCE, BUT THEY WILL ALWAYS BE REMEMBERED!
:flagca::flagca::patriot::patriot::clap2:

Indeed they will Summ.............and to all the Veterans I raise my hand in the highest respect:d :flagca::flagca::patriot::patriot:

GRD

Reaction score

Hope everyone has a good Remembrance Day.:)

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainhavenbb.vpweb.com

In Remembrance of my great grandfather, who lost a leg in WWI and who suffered lung complications the rest of his life from the effects of "mustard gas". I was trying to remember the poem "In Flanders Fields". Looked it up on Wikipedia:

"In Flanders Fields" is one of the most famous poems written during the First World War, and has been called "the most popular poem" produced during that period. It is written in the form of a French rondeau. Canadian physician and Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae wrote it on May 3, 1915, after he witnessed the death of his friend, Lieutenant Alexis Helmer, the day before. The poem was first published on December 8, that year in Punch magazine.

The poppies referred to in the poem grew in profusion in Flanders where war casualties had been buried and thus became a symbol of Remembrance Day. The poem is part of Remembrance Day solemnities in Allied countries which contributed troops to the First World War, particularly in countries of the British Empire that did so.

The poem "In Flanders Fields" was written upon a scrap of paper upon the back of Colonel Lawrence Moore Cosgrave, during a lull in the bombings (as recited to his grandson).

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

— Lt.-Col. John McCrae

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score

To all those who have served and continue serving to try to make the world a better place. I personally thank you. I know there are several members on this site that serve in the Military/Navy/Air Force. Each one of you is a hero, whether you've been overseas or not.

From a young person who has never had to "experience" war I may not know the full meaning of rememberance day, but I do take those 2 minutes to stand and observe the silence for each and every one of you.

Thank You!

jeepchic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I had a grandpa that served for Canada in WW2 and an Opa that served for Germany. The family talks were interesting my parents say when they first married!!! But all was great anyway!

We remember them and everyone else who fought for what we ALL have now.

:violin::canadaflag::Ccry:

Top Bottom