Reciever Hitch Extension

xtremegriz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heres my problem. I'm thinking of buying my buddy's Sled deck mainly for Camping, so I'll be pulling a 30 ft Travel trailer. However with the sides out on the sled deck I can hardly turn without the deck hitting the trailer. Anybody have a similar problem or have built their own reciever extension? Are they legal? Local hitch warehouse wants like $700 for a whole new hitch and sway bars with a 18" extension. Thoughts or advice welcome.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Hitching Problem

Yea, i'd try another hitch shop...... I believe there are "longer" receivers available that also move the stabilizer bars back farther too, but i don't think they are cheap either, and I believe they are 18" longer than stock. You must keep it legal though, otherwise serious fines for this....... If "bbtoys" is online, he should have more insight into this for you.:confused:

xtremegriz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
would something like this work? just extends your receiver.

Attachments

• spec6.jpg
    spec6.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 252

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
My concern with doing something like that would be losing strenth of the receiver on the tow vehicle. That piece would probably work, but I'd call a place like the Hitch Warehouse or something and see what they recommend.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine put hinge points (big bolts) on his deck so that the beaver tail on the deck could fold up out of the way of the trailer.(I've only seen it used with a v-nose so don't know if it would work with a holiday trailer). And then he realized that with sleds you can't fold up the deck anyway so he just took the beavertail off. The ramp is retarded steep now but he can haul all 6 of his sleds at once.

xtremegriz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found an 18" extension at Hitch Depot and the guy said it reduces max trailer weight to 6000lbs and 500lbs tongue weight. Salesman said he runs the same set up and hasn't had any problems. Now I just have to extend the safety chains and electrical plug and install airbags on the truck so it doesn't squat right down. All this because my ole lady bought a quad! I think she should pay for all these mods?!:headscratch3:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the information you found out xtremegriz. Good luck with your project.

xtremegriz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input guys and just an update on weights. Reduces trailer weight to 6500lbs and tongue to 650lbs. Just incase somebody else has to do this and wants info.

Rich

Tweaker 660

RIP Jan 16,2009
Reaction score
I had the same problem had to get a 18 inch extention from dsp. Seems to work fine. Let me know if you find a way to get her to pay for the mods so I can do the same.

Top Bottom