r motor issues

mountainhunter

Reaction score
well another trip to the shop this week. the 11 etec has went down for the third time. getting pretty p.o.ed with these r motors, the 09 i had previous to the etec went down 3 times as well .the 09 went down once with snow ingestion ,my fault sort of. that prefilter on those years were crap when it was very cold and the fabric froze and pulled away . took it to the doo store in gp for a rebuild ,burnt down in the back end of wolverine valley.rebuilt again different shop ,busted crank parking lot silver sands.new motor top to bottom ,sold this year. 11 etec died sicamous feb last year ,rebuild top end on warranty died again march,tentfire honey hole.wrong parts from dealer said got low elevation spec jug ,lower compression ratio.[taller deck ] .new top end again ,pistons jug etc. rode one ride after ,pulled good but had a poor idle ,went from 1050 rpm to 1600 rpm ,hunting ,fired up to take to town to check poor idle condition ,fired up at shop to unload and would quit when put into reverse and then it refused to start at all . turns out pto piston is hooched .top of piston pretty battered up .mech figures part of a crank seal which is allowed to move 2mm side to side moved to far and ran into a throw on the crank shaved of some pieces and away it went . it is a internal crank seal so no extra air was introduced ,but 2 mm holy sh..t on a motor that is turning at 8000 revs .no bad info pulled from the ecm .no deto ,no over rev ,nothing .. been riding doo for a very long time . had better luck with the old ho and older engines . i understand the race for more power, better fuel economy but six trips into the engine cavity since 09 has me wondering why i snow checked a xm .only thing i have changed since i sold my bb ed 04 [riding areas, fuel supplier ,etc ] is i started using doo oil only in the 09 and 11 .

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW. cant say ive ever had a problem with a skidoo r motor ( other than the prototype x xp 2007 we had... turd motor but that was a given)

hope they get it all fixed up for you the etec has been super reliable for our group so far knock on wood.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
The 800R is a great engine but you have to know its strengths and weaknesses. It needs yearly maintenance on the pto and mag bearings with inspection of the isoflex grease. A proper break-in does not hurt either and like all engines a proper warm up.
I think in the case of the first post, the dealer should have replaced the entire engine. Once you have to get into a factory engine, it has to be done right. Best to go with a short block factory build. If your a high mileage rider, keep an eye on the pto bearing. Just remove the clutch, the bearing cover, pop the seal off and inspect for amount of isoflex. There is a bearing buddy kit available for just this type of maintenance on the 800R, etec included.

Look here....

foghorn

Reaction score
Does anybody in Alberta stock the bearing buddy that anyone knows of
Bob

mountainhunter

Reaction score
The 800R is a great engine but you have to know its strengths and weaknesses. It needs yearly maintenance on the pto and mag bearings with inspection of the isoflex grease. A proper break-in does not hurt either and like all engines a proper warm up.
I think in the case of the first post, the dealer should have replaced the entire engine. Once you have to get into a factory engine, it has to be done right. Best to go with a short block factory build. If your a high mileage rider, keep an eye on the pto bearing. Just remove the clutch, the bearing cover, pop the seal off and inspect for amount of isoflex. There is a bearing buddy kit available for just this type of maintenance on the 800R, etec included.

Look here....
i agree with your thoughts on warm up and proper break in ,own a few pieces of equipment so a good state of repair is important .interesting thought ,the 09 the crank busted in the middle and the issue with the 11 is also not on the outer seals or bearings.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
i agree with your thoughts on warm up and proper break in ,own a few pieces of equipment so a good state of repair is important .interesting thought ,the 09 the crank busted in the middle and the issue with the 11 is also not on the outer seals or bearings.

Me and my friend were at the sled show last year and the guys who rebuild the cranks (CV tech) were there. We asked them all kinds of questions. My friend has a 2007 summit with the 800R and he has rebuilt it 4 times now. It has 12,000 km's on it. You would not believe how small the 800R crank is compared to other engines cranks. The 600 Polaris crank is pretty much the same size as the 800R. But, that being said, the others have their share of problems as well.
The guys said they do about 5000 cranks a year for the 800R and sell them all. We asked them, since they are exclusive to BRP, why Rotax would not beef it up.... simple answer, bad for their business.
Take care of the outer bearings and hope for the best. Its the cost a person pays for having the highest horsepower to weight ratio in the industry. Its not if they will blow, but when.....its a ticking time bomb. They all are!!!!!

mountainhunter

Reaction score
update from the dealer this morning , crank is shot ,inner bearing is piling up .any ideas about lack of lube in the crankcase? etec seems to run pretty small amounts of oil .or premix a bit .used to do it on the older ho series . do any good with direct injected ?

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
update from the dealer this morning , crank is shot ,inner bearing is piling up .any ideas about lack of lube in the crankcase? etec seems to run pretty small amounts of oil .or premix a bit .used to do it on the older ho series . do any good with direct injected ?

I would think you need to run a bit of pre mixed oil in the tank in a new engine. I think there is going to be alot of issues come to light with these etec engines eventually.... They run sooo much leaner on oil and fuel vs the powerteck and HO engines. Inner bearing piling up can only be from a lack of lubrication during operation.

sscamaro_skwark

Reaction score
I would be worried how the oil works with the injectors, I know that premixing will affect your air fuel ratio slightly in carburated engines, I would be leary of using it with direct injection. Make sure everything is checked over including check valves, restrictions, & what have in the oiling system

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me and my friend were at the sled show last year and the guys who rebuild the cranks (CV tech) were there. We asked them all kinds of questions. My friend has a 2007 summit with the 800R and he has rebuilt it 4 times now. It has 12,000 km's on it. You would not believe how small the 800R crank is compared to other engines cranks. The 600 Polaris crank is pretty much the same size as the 800R. But, that being said, the others have their share of problems as well.
The guys said they do about 5000 cranks a year for the 800R and sell them all. We asked them, since they are exclusive to BRP, why Rotax would not beef it up.... simple answer, bad for their business.
Take care of the outer bearings and hope for the best. Its the cost a person pays for having the highest horsepower to weight ratio in the industry. Its not if they will blow, but when.....its a ticking time bomb. They all are!!!!!

5000 cranks? Maybe peeps should send the cranks to the BRP rebuild center. We have always had good luck from them.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya and i have had 2 bad cranks from c.v tech....

its allways the mag side inner crank bearing that goes cause the cases squeese the outer bearing.... motts did a machined relief in mine .... sled head racing [ big john outa the states does the same thing ]

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
these crank storys dont sound the norm, never had a issue from 07 with any of the cranks, or even know of any that have, dealer has not seen to many as well, or these just rebuild problems

Top Bottom