QSC Primary Noise - Normal?

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just finished installing the new QSC primary and STM secondary on my outlander 1000. It hauls like a mofo but the primary is making a faint ticking noise while spinning. When starting or stopping to spin, the primary now also makes loud clicking noises almost like the sound a spring might make if it was catching on something. It isn't as distinguishable in the video over the engine noise but you can still hear it. Not sure how to describe the start/stop noise. It's not really clicking and not really grinding but somewhere in between. Is this normal?

Last edited:

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
normal as far as i know.... i can send vid to Russell Coker of 3P offroad... he is the best for all the clutches down in the US... he will know forsure... i will send it to him...

i do know my cvtech is about the same noises... somewhat different but thats normal for mine.... qsc... i think thats ok.. but could be wrong since i do not run one.... Dave does run a qsc... but his is the 1st generation qsc... the raptor qsc which what you have there i think... is way different... and way better... the Gen 1 qsc is not made anymore and no parts avail as far as i know...

Last edited:

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks KWIK. I'm gonna check with Rapid Revolutions this morning as well. I was hoping for an answer before today just so I could button it up. ...headed to Grave Flats and always seem to be rushed buttoning up my machine last minute.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm told that noise is perfectly normal.

I'm also told:
The QSC is actually a billet inner sheave and billet outer plate and then a team sheave that holds the fingers which Team does make the same sheave for Polaris clutches. So only one piece of it is Polaris.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
U are the man, sorry bud
I'm a Polaris guy now. Figured all the cool kids run 'em. Now I don't have time for S&M as I have to work OT to pay for parts and spend all my evenings in the garage repairing my machine....

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm a Polaris guy now. Figured all the cool kids run 'em. Now I don't have time for S&M as I have to work OT to pay for parts and spend all my evenings in the garage repairing my machine....
I hear ya, as I'm now a proud rzr owner ( well not sure if proud is the word)

What ya get??

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes Russell just got back to me 1/2 hr ago... yes its normal.... here is his quote

Slight click is normal at idle and especially start up

and you have done your homework Dean... you are correct with that statement about the clutch.... its team industries... i met the owner of QSC two years go down there... nice guy... he really has a good thing going here.... you have the raptor primary, right?

Last edited:

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes Russell just got back to me 1/2 hr ago... yes its normal.... here is his quote

Slight click is normal at idle and especially start up

and you have done your homework Dean... you are correct with that statement about the clutch.... its team industries... i met the owner of QSC two years go down there... nice guy... he really has a good thing going here.... you have the raptor primary, right?

Gee man, I couldn't tell you if it's the raptor primary or not. ...unless you mean Yamaha Raptor, in which case - no, I have an Outlander XTP now.

Also, I certainly wouldn't describe it as a "slight" click on startup and shut down. You can't really hear it on startup in t he vid but you can definitely hear it on shutdown. In any case, this appears normal as goofy as it sounds to me.

Last edited:

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am pretty sure its the raptor qsc... they started with a Generation one qsc clutch years ago... that developed into the Generation two raptor qsc clutch... its quite a bit superior over the gen 1 primary... im pretty sure they dont even sell the gen 1 anymore new ... only used you could stumble on one... if you dont know you wont ever know about it unless someone pointed it out... it does look like the raptor but with pics its hard to tell sometimes...

Top Bottom