Purchased first Turbo, what can I expect for problems and what should I watch for.

TimSoltys

Reaction score
Just purchased my first turbo (2003 RX-1) and would like some advise from experienced turbo owners and what kind of problems I should expect and what I should be watching for. Does anyone REALLY know what I can expect for hp???

I have a CPR simmons turbo kit and aftercooler and was told at 10 # boost = 265 HP at 18 # boost = 320 HP. The motor is stock except for a spacer in the head gasket to lower the compression.

The person I bought it from never ran it above 12# boost and only used premium fuel. One dealer who builds turbos and locks the boost at 10# said you only need to run premium fuel. Another dealer who builds turbos said I should run 50% race fuel. Can someone please clarify what I should be running in this machine???

Help any advise I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Sammy

Reaction score
with out knowing exact compression ratio and valve timing it is hard to say exactly what is safe. MCX's headshim for the apex measures 0.060" and is safe to run premium up to 12psi. If it was me i would run the 50/50 mix of premium and vp110 for your first tank. Watch were your boost is at and make sure you are no higher than 10 psi boost. I would also install a wideband air fuel ratio guage and watch were your settings are at. 11.8- 12.2 are a good setting for full throttle, and 13.5 for mid throttle. Adjust your jetting as required to fall with in this range. After this i would feel comfortable running premium.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Give ken at specialty sleds a call or stop by and take a look at his 2003 rx-1 turbo.. he has first hand experience with that model sled.. Also i agree on the race fuel.. Where are you at if you happen to get a bad batch of premium, race fuel sounds like cheap insurance to me. Last time i checked those yammy motors aint cheap to rebuild.

M5-

Reaction score
with out knowing exact compression ratio and valve timing it is hard to say exactly what is safe. MCX's headshim for the apex measures 0.060" and is safe to run premium up to 12psi. If it was me i would run the 50/50 mix of premium and vp110 for your first tank. Watch were your boost is at and make sure you are no higher than 10 psi boost. I would also install a wideband air fuel ratio guage and watch were your settings are at. 11.8- 12.2 are a good setting for full throttle, and 13.5 for mid throttle. Adjust your jetting as required to fall with in this range. After this i would feel comfortable running premium.

I'm running a CPR kit on a 2003 Rx. Your HP numbers are a little on the optimistic side. I'm guessing right around 250-260 at 12 lbs is a fair guess. Sammy's advice is pretty much dead on IMO. I wouldn't venture above 13 or 14 on good pump premium, that said it should run all day at 12 on pump.

M5

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
I run a similar set up.
12lbs on pump premium is fine.
After that I go 50/50 Pump Premium and C12 mixed to 18lbs.
Straight C12 to 21 but I only ever needed to go there once.
Have fun:beer:
RS

sf18x

Reaction score
quick question. what you got for injectors? are the factory or after market wider? dual? i ask because when you start running anything over 10 punds the boost is there but the injectors are running full board and not keeping up. when that happens it only takes a few seconds to sqeeck a motor. also running close to 12 pounds and premium pump fuel you might consider an octain booster. its cheap and only requires a very small amount avery time you refuel.

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
quick question. what you got for injectors? are the factory or after market wider? dual? i ask because when you start running anything over 10 punds the boost is there but the injectors are running full board and not keeping up. when that happens it only takes a few seconds to sqeeck a motor. also running close to 12 pounds and premium pump fuel you might consider an octain booster. its cheap and only requires a very small amount avery time you refuel.

Uhh.. that sled would still have carbs.
My dads rx1 is and 05 and it is still has them!
just my 2 cents worth..
I dont know a thing about turbos.LOL(yet)

Justin:rolleyes:

sf18x

Reaction score
ha ha. sorry. guess i should have read the entire thread first. don't have alot of experiance with carb engine turbos. my dad and his dad ran a couple 700 rmk turbos back in the day, but i was too young to hang on good enough to ever ride em.

INSTGUY

Reaction score
I have an 08 nytro....absolutely flawless on 10psi...I would recommend keeping it at 10 pounds an premium.....check your life insurance and work benefits....everything happens three times faster than a two stroke....hold tight....squeeze your ass cheeks...pucker up...point'er toward the sun and give'r

Adrenaline Vince

Reaction score
I would think the old owner should know when to start mixxing fuel, with my mcx i ran 12psi with a head shim for a year and never had a issue, anything over then i mix. You want to invest in a boost dial so you can dial your boost up and down. 10psi sure isnt 265,more like 12psi or even 14. Mcx claims 12psi is 260hp. All I know is it doesnt matter at 12 psi they fricken ripp and nothing,nothing touches them!!! Ive ran 20psi and hollyshit hang on. If its set up rite you shouldnt have too many problem,maybee the odd exhaust leak,if its a rear mount. O ya and the rear mounts make more hp than the front mounts at the same psi, but have more lag.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just purchased my first turbo (2003 RX-1) and would like some advise from experienced turbo owners and what kind of problems I should expect and what I should be watching for. Does anyone REALLY know what I can expect for hp???

I have a CPR simmons turbo kit and aftercooler and was told at 10 # boost = 265 HP at 18 # boost = 320 HP. The motor is stock except for a spacer in the head gasket to lower the compression.

The person I bought it from never ran it above 12# boost and only used premium fuel. One dealer who builds turbos and locks the boost at 10# said you only need to run premium fuel. Another dealer who builds turbos said I should run 50% race fuel. Can someone please clarify what I should be running in this machine???

Help any advise I can get would be greatly appreciated.

My hubby runs a similar sled: 2004 Rx-1 Turbo. We have been through the ringer with his sled and trying to figure it out. Fortunately, after all of the mishaps, he knows the sled inside and out and when he hears something off he is like a cobra on the attack- he knows just where to strike!! If you have any questions, I would suggest PM'ing him on this forum. His snowandmud name is "jeremy8" and he would be more than happy to help you :d

Top Bottom