Power Wanted

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 GMC 1/2 ton Z71 with the 5.3L engine and 3.73 rear end. I pull a 23' travel trailer and lack some power, any body in the same boat and what have you tried to squeeze out a few extra ponies?, dual exhaust, chip, different breather?. Any comments would be appreciated. :chevy:

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Intake with tube,throttle body spacer and exhaust.If you want a chip do that last.Pm me and i can help you out with the stuff you need.The feed back I get from customers is it helps in the mid range to top end for pulling and helps out with milage when there empty.

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I think I'll try the exhaust first and the breather before trying the chip and see what improvement I get.

GRD

Reaction score
I had a 5.4L F150 2003... I but an AFE air intake and 3 inch single exhaust on it, trying to improve power and torque. Empty I could tell the difference, but pulling didn't make much of a difference, maybe better fuel economy, but that was about it. Upgraded to 1 ton diesel... I can feel the difference now!

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let's see, ah two weddings, kids education, new trailer. New truck will just have to wait a year or two, need some cheap power now.

:chevy:

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I bought a Hypertech max energy programmer for my 01 Dodge 360,it did not do a whole lot of difference.$400 wasted i think

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gas Chips are not worth doing until you do the other three things first.Then the chip helps.It seems to bring everything together better.

Last edited:

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Gas Chips are not worth doing until you do the other three things firts.Then the chip helps.It seems to bring everything together better.

Ihave the intake ,spacer K&n and exhaust.That was all done before.The only way to get more power for pulling a trailer is a bigger motor or lower gears.

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i did cold air intake, duals, and programmer, made a difference, tranny shifts way better, economy is better, took out speed limiter, but for what i have spent, should have bought a diesel.

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK this thread is P!ssing me off, the guy wants to know how to get a little more out of his half ton, the question WASN'T SHOULD I BUY A DIESEL INSTEAD?? Give the guy some help if you can if not sh#t up, It pi$$es me off when someone is asking about what to get for a truck and people have to say get a diesel don't waste your time with a gas blah blah blah. Don't get me wrong I like diesels but this is not the point here!!! Get what you want and can afford. You can not get a diesel for the same price as a gas unless they are years apart or millions of miles differnce.

Read through what the guys that actually wanted to answer your question said and see if it something you would like to try, ignore the rest!!

My rant is over, if you are offended.....darn

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I have a 2003 GMC 1/2 ton Z71 with the 5.3L engine and 3.73 rear end. I pull a 23' travel trailer and lack some power, any body in the same boat and what have you tried to squeeze out a few extra ponies?, dual exhaust, chip, different breather?. Any comments would be appreciated. :chevy:

I believe this was how it started...:d

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Your right Jay back on track I deleted all post not pertaining too it so If anyone has a problem with it...it was me

Sorry for the hijack:d

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
OK this thread is P!ssing me off, the guy wants to know how to get a little more out of his half ton, the question WASN'T SHOULD I BUY A DIESEL INSTEAD?? Give the guy some help if you can if not sh#t up, It pi$$es me off when someone is asking about what to get for a truck and people have to say get a diesel don't waste your time with a gas blah blah blah. Don't get me wrong I like diesels but this is not the point here!!! Get what you want and can afford. You can not get a diesel for the same price as a gas unless they are years apart or millions of miles differnce.

Read through what the guys that actually wanted to answer your question said and see if it something you would like to try, ignore the rest!!

My rant is over, if you are offended.....darn

couldn't agree with you more

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Chev 6.0l vortec with Afe stage 2 cold air and gibson 4 inch exhaust and a hypertec max energy programmer(supplied by Xsyourride) and my towin power on premium setting is 10 percent better as fars as mileage empty..... 18 mpg out of 3/4 ton gas im not complaining

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is good mileage for what you have. I get lee mileage with my 5.4L and I don't have the power you have.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear ya Switch. I am trying to find the answer as well. I had a post on S&M about changing gears - not worth it ( according to replies on this site ). In the past I have added the K&N intake tube and added FlowMaster exhaust and a Super Chip. It helped a bit but it did sacrifice some noise issues. I think the intake tubes are better now than a few years ago with regard to howl from under the hood. I didn't mind howl but when your pulling a trailer for a few hours it gets on your nerves ( and your wifes nerves and your kids nerves etc.) You can add a resonator then you lose some performance. I tried Super Chip on the last three gas trucks and I am looking for a better tuner. When I get some cash - I am goin to invest in a Hypertech tuner. According to Hypertech Dyno sheet it gives you the best torque at low RPM's. A lot of manufacturer's claims brag about horsepower gains and torque gains but this is misleading. Alot of these numbers are a WOT ( wide open throttle ). Nobody pulls a trailer for hours at WOT ( unless your going to Jasper or Crowsnest Pass against the wind ). Don't look for horsepower - look for torque at low RPM ( 1500 - 2500 ). Exhaust is not that simple - large exhaust is good but too big can sacrfice low end torque ( go to Magna flow website there was an article on this ) I think the guys at ABC muffer are pretty good at helping you select the best exhaust for what you do. This is my 2 cents worth.

Jake

Reaction score
I have a 5.4, I put on a Magna flow exhaust, K&N intake and Hypertech. Did not notice the difference with any one thing as I added them. But sure notice the difference with the deck and sleds on. I use the programer on regular fuel, tow mode. Fuel milage did not really change.

WILDMIKE

Reaction score
Got lots of them 5.3l Chevy 4x4's out around here!! 5.3's are high revving little monsters.
Father in law has one in his Avalanche, tows trailers, (r.v, dump utility, sled & quad, etc) and it doesn't do to bad, but it is a little lacking all right!! He's looking into dual exhaust and cold air kit. tuner would be the icing on the cake!

If you have 3.73 gears with the 5.3 engine, a 4.11 gear swap would definitely wake up your truck! and the engine should take the increased rpm's with no problem! If you are running larger than stock rubber, a gear change should be a must, unless you enjoy replacing transmissions. Front and rear gear change minus labor should be less than a dual exhaust. Still all the help you can give your truck to breath will help! A TBI spacer usually works good on the GMC/Chevy engines.:spot:

Something to consider....

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exhaust,including headers(yes they help),TB spacer and cold air intake. If you do lots of towing get a higher capacity tranny pan and upgrade the cooler.I agree do the chip last,they don't do squat to a stock motor.Small things like good plugs and wires help too as will upgrading the coils.

Top Bottom