Power steering??

4Cats

Reaction score
My wife has a 2008 M1000, 162" sno-pro...she also has a bad back and has said that applying steering presure hurts her back.
Has anyone ever heard of a aftermarket power steering kit? I heard the new Yamaha sleds have power steering.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
some yammys have/had it, lots of quads do and I've heard of retrofit kits for quads but never for a sled. have you tried playing around with suspension to lighten up the front? should help a bit but you can only do so much with that until the sled just pushes through corners.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about putting it on my nytro and my kawi quad. Other projects keep coming up first but i think its doable for sure if you have the tools and ability

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drop the front of the skid to the bottom holes in the tunnel. Might have to drill them out first. They'll show up if you look on the inside of the tunnel.

4Cats

Reaction score
Drop the front of the skid to the bottom holes in the tunnel. Might have to drill them out first. They'll show up if you look on the inside of the tunnel.

Thanks, I will definately give that a try, as I do see the logic in the weight transfer

4Cats

Reaction score
I am thinking about putting it on my nytro and my kawi quad. Other projects keep coming up first but i think its doable for sure if you have the tools and ability

I am very mechanical, and a fabricator by trade,,just need to find the most compatable unit

4Cats

Reaction score
some yammys have/had it, lots of quads do and I've heard of retrofit kits for quads but never for a sled. have you tried playing around with suspension to lighten up the front? should help a bit but you can only do so much with that until the sled just pushes through corners.

I am about to give that a try

4Cats

Reaction score
Okay Guys, just checked the M1000 front of the skid inside the tunnel for the bottom holes,,,see nothing. Checked all 3 of my M1000'S no bottom holes . Should I drill holes about an inch, straight down from the current ones?

4Cats

Reaction score
I see the other hole is actually located to the rear of the hole that is in use, so I drilled this one and reloated the front arm to that spot. It tightened the track up quite a bit even with the tensioners backed right off. I also cranked some pressure onto the front shock via the spring. Did I use the right holes?? should I go back to the original holes to allow for more track slop? The track hangs about 1/2" off the slides.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see the other hole is actually located to the rear of the hole that is in use, so I drilled this one and reloated the front arm to that spot. It tightened the track up quite a bit even with the tensioners backed right off. I also cranked some pressure onto the front shock via the spring. Did I use the right holes?? should I go back to the original holes to allow for more track slop? The track hangs about 1/2" off the slides.

Been a while since I did it on my M1000, but that sounds right IF you mean the track is hanging 1/2" off the slides with no weight on the track. Give it a try and see if it helps. It did on mine, though the M1000 is still heavy in the front no matter what you do.

4Cats

Reaction score
Been a while since I did it on my M1000, but that sounds right IF you mean the track is hanging 1/2" off the slides with no weight on the track. Give it a try and see if it helps. It did on mine, though the M1000 is still heavy in the front no matter what you do.

Hey thanks for the tips,,the snow has turned to slush up here in the Interior so when we get some Ill have the wife take it for a tour, hope it is better for her. Thanks Again

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the tips,,the snow has turned to slush up here in the Interior so when we get some Ill have the wife take it for a tour, hope it is better for her. Thanks Again

Back off the pressure in the rear skid shock as well, and put a bit more in the front skid shock, that will help the pivot point on the front arm of the skid and help her get the weight transfer back off the skis. Take the carbides off the skis as well, that should help give it less bite. Steering will be a little sloppy for her though, so keep that in mind and tell her not to go into a corner too hot.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could see running shorter carbides but IMO no carbides is dangerous. Rode with a guy last year who had to stop and drag the front of his sled in order to turn on anything hard packed. LOL if you want to be easy on your back that is not the way to do it.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could see running shorter carbides but IMO no carbides is dangerous. Rode with a guy last year who had to stop and drag the front of his sled in order to turn on anything hard packed. LOL if you want to be easy on your back that is not the way to do it.

Lots of guys run no carbides in the mountains.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the past to lighten the front i remove the front limiter strap and see where the shock is fully extended. Take that measurement and then compress an inch and reinstall the strap to stop the swingarm at that position. Tighten up the front shock and loosen the rear as mentioned above. Carbides IMO are only good on hard groomed trails and parking lots. Rest of the time they are snags to crumple your front end and chew your decks and shop cement apart

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Super ATV makes a power steering unit that you might be able to adapt. If that and the transfer don't work it's probably time to look at getting her something that is easier to handle like a Pro.

craptabulous

Reaction score
Not trying to be unhelpful here , but if she permanantly has a bad back maybe you should sell the m1 and get a 600 . Even a m8 is better .

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Happy wife = happy life. I'd recommend selling the 1000 and buying a lighter sled for her, such as a 600 - 800 class sled. She'll enjoy the ride a lot more (speaking from personal experience). Have HER try a few different machines out and make HER choice - it's about HER.

Top Bottom