powder coating plastic?

M1K

Reaction score
So I started tearing my bike down so that I could powder coat every piece of chrome on it and there appears to be alot of plastic chrome pieces surrounding the motor.... I had heard there are places that do powdercoat plastic....anybody know of a shop in Edmonton or area?

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
humm how does that work when u put the plastic piece in the oven to bake the powder coating wouldn't the plastic melt just saying

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
never eard of it

found that on the internet search

1) The plastic must be confirmed to be a thermoset. Meaning... it can't melt at elevated temperatures

2) a vehicle must be applied to your plastic in order to promote a "like metal" flow of electron around the part sufficient enough for the powder to stick to.

3) some plastics have a number stamped into them ( look on a soda bottle or milk jug... the number classifies the grade of polymer) this is how you denote what your material is. Not all plastics have this though, so don't be surprised if yours doesn't have one. Sometimes at best, they have a date stamp on them ( a little dial looking indicator) for batch control purposes.

4) yes, you can add an elastomer to powder coating but it's not recommended for you. The coatings that you use already have sufficient enough in the formulation and are flexible enough to withstand any normal use of bend or fold.

personally i would just paint it ? or get it transfer wet painted

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
never eard of it

found that on the internet search

1) The plastic must be confirmed to be a thermoset. Meaning... it can't melt at elevated temperatures

2) a vehicle must be applied to your plastic in order to promote a "like metal" flow of electron around the part sufficient enough for the powder to stick to.

3) some plastics have a number stamped into them ( look on a soda bottle or milk jug... the number classifies the grade of polymer) this is how you denote what your material is. Not all plastics have this though, so don't be surprised if yours doesn't have one. Sometimes at best, they have a date stamp on them ( a little dial looking indicator) for batch control purposes.

4) yes, you can add an elastomer to powder coating but it's not recommended for you. The coatings that you use already have sufficient enough in the formulation and are flexible enough to withstand any normal use of bend or fold.

personally i would just paint it ? or get it transfer wet painted

yeah what fossy said

M1K

Reaction score
wet transfer paint? Enlighten me please :confused:

M1K

Reaction score
So thats how they do the paint on the ATV's... that process could completely change my interior on my dirtymax.:d Cool, thanks Fossy

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
seams to be pretty expensive in canada though

there was a company at the sledshow from calgary

i think a hood was 600
sidepanels 400

well for that money i would get someone to airbrush

that transfer stuff used to be pretty cheap back home in germany since its simple and pretty cheap to do

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
seams to be pretty expensive in canada though

there was a company at the sledshow from calgary

i think a hood was 600
sidepanels 400

well for that money i would get someone to airbrush

that transfer stuff used to be pretty cheap back home in germany since its simple and pretty cheap to do

Or buy a new one lol. :d

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cant powder coat plastic how ever you can wood, interesting. There is chrome paint you can get. Why do you want chrome? chrome sucks!, lol

M1K

Reaction score
Trying to powder coat all my chrome pieces black... going for the sinister look :devildancing:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same as what the others have said. I would think that the temps needed to cure powder coating (PC) at around 350 would be too high for most plastics, even if the panel didn't fully melt I would be worried about it severly warping and deforming.

Strip the chrome paint, get some RIT dye and maybe dye all the parts? Plastic does not hold paint very well unfortunately, best thing to do is dye it.

Top Bottom