Portland to Whistler next week - any advice or riding buds?

1badhusky

Reaction score
Hey everyone, we've had enough of this BS up here in Portland and are going to go find some ****ed snow. Looks like Whistler area is only place w/in 15-hour drive that's getting more than a foot of snow in the next 7 days, so that's where we are heading.

Never been up there, but heard there's a good spot about 30 minutes north of the ski resort.

Anyone from there or been up there? Any advice would be appreciated.

Do you need to register sleds or get any kind of permit to ride in Canada? Anything else beyond a passport we'll need to get in?

We'd be stoked to have people ride with us. We ride modded, newish mountain sleds and are decent riders looking for steep and deep and boondocking fun. We're probably leaving next Tuesday and gonna spend 3-5 days depending on conditions.​

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of good riding within a hour of Whistler,you might want to post in the riding area section under the lower mainland area,if we dont get any new buy then I might be there to but there calling for lots of snow in the next 5 days in the mountain here on the Island so hopefully I wont have to,if we get lots so will Whistler area.Hope you have a great trip and Merry Christmas.

v10rider

Reaction score
If everything goes as forecasted, the sea to sky corridor could receive up to 100cm (approx 3ft) of new snow so looks you are coming up at the right time. Not sure what is required as far as paperwork to cross the border but i would think passport and proof of ownership of you sled should be enough. I would stay in squamish because it is cheaper and you are still within 30min to an hour of all main riding areas.

1badhusky

Reaction score
3 feet? I'd seen mayb 12-15". 3 feet would be sweet. Where you seeing that forecast? Any thoughts on the best places to ride up there? We'd be bringing an RV, so hoping to stay right at the riding area if it's possible.

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
See if you can park your RV in the brandywine parking lot .. huge parking lot and awesome riding area .. you have lots of sweet spots within 20 minutes up and down the hwy as well .. but most of the place you don't want to have an RV in tow as they are narrow and steep dirt roads with no real parking lots.

shoot me a pm if you want. we'll definitely be riding lots during that time.

v10rider

Reaction score
3 feet? I'd seen mayb 12-15". 3 feet would be sweet. Where you seeing that forecast? Any thoughts on the best places to ride up there? We'd be bringing an RV, so hoping to stay right at the riding area if it's possible.

Weather Forecast: Squamish, British Columbia - The Weather Network

High of 5 degree means snow above 1300m and most riding areas are around 1500m. I hope you can leave the toyhauler at the parking lot and carry your sled on the sled deck or something. The riding areas along the sea-to-sky are not the best with parking except for a couple spots.

I believe there is an RV park somewhere in squamish, google dryden creek campground. They are open year round and brohm ridge is only 5 minutes north of that campground. Again, if you camped there, you'll be within 30minutes of most major riding areas along the sea-to-sky.

PM sideways. We are part of the same crew and we are all off work next week.

1badhusky

Reaction score
Great. Thanks for the info guys! PM sent- hope we can hook up and ride!

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Basically, absolutely anywhere you go in Beautiful British Columbia your going to have a religious sledding/skiing etc experience :)

1badhusky

Reaction score
My buddy is talking about the Pemberton Ice Cap - any thoughts on this vs Brandywine or other areas?

v10rider

Reaction score
The icecap is amazing but you can only go up there on good vis day which equals sunny day. I dont see any sun in the forecast for the next 7 days.

Top Bottom