Platinum Plugs VS Regular Plugs

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Ok, so I know when I had FORD do my last tune up 124000 km ago (yes I know, get on it get another one done) they put Platinum plugs in my explorer to the tune of $13 per plug.

Now I phoned around and got pricing on plugs and per pair its a $10 difference. What is the benefits of running a platinum plug vs a regular spark plug in a V6 Gas engine?

Thanks for your input!

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I know when I had FORD do my last tune up 124000 km ago (yes I know, get on it get another one done) they put Platinum plugs in my explorer to the tune of $13 per plug.

Now I phoned around and got pricing on plugs and per pair its a $10 difference. What is the benefits of running a platinum plug vs a regular spark plug in a V6 Gas engine?

Thanks for your input!

little better spark and longevity. on a stocker v6 it waste of money imo. probably wont notice fuel/power differance. or the length of time they will last. will still be replacing in 100k or so. did they at least call you to ok the extra expense? only 30 bucks but that is still your 30 bucks right not really fair to cust. if not previously okd.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
If you aren't keeping the truck more than a year, just put the regular plugs in....if you are keeping the truck then at least(bare minimum) put regular single platinum plugs in..... They will last 100,000kms or more...... Regular plugs won't, and the ignition spark isn't as clean and will cause carboning and deposits..... Run for too long with regular plugs and carbon buildup on the ends of the spark plugs will more than likely damage the threads next time they are removed..... We repair 1 or 2 a month....

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Ah Tyler, Tyler,Tyler ........................ real trucks don't have spark plugs!!! Bwhahahahahahahahaha ....:beer::d:beer:

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you aren't keeping the truck more than a year, just put the regular plugs in....if you are keeping the truck then at least(bare minimum) put regular single platinum plugs in..... They will last 100,000kms or more...... Regular plugs won't, and the ignition spark isn't as clean and will cause carboning and deposits..... Run for too long with regular plugs and carbon buildup on the ends of the spark plugs will more than likely damage the threads next time they are removed..... We repair 1 or 2 a month....
THIS IS A FACT,we do too many cyl head repairs just for this exact reason people cheaping out,it's pay now or pay later :nono:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
THIS IS A FACT,we do too many cyl head repairs just for this exact reason people cheaping out,it's pay now or pay later :nono:

never thought of that. never had that problem with the old cast heads but with new alu. ones would be a major issue thanks for the info guys. i dont do much repair on gas vehicles anymore so never even thought of that issue.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Tyler, use the single platinum spark plugs, and you can get them at canadian tire for about $8.00/pr, or something like that. Double platinums are better, but more money, and iridiums are even more money......

Cameo

Reaction score
What about on a propane powered truck 454cid?? do you think there would be much of a benifit?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Tyler, use the single platinum spark plugs, and you can get them at canadian tire for about $8.00/pr, or something like that. Double platinums are better, but more money, and iridiums are even more money......

will they be okay with the Nitrous setup?

Top Bottom