Places to live...

CountryRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love to camp... (Be around a lake)... I was wondering what would be better/cheaper in the long run? A camper or lakeside house/cabin??? Opinions will be great... (yes im young to buy the hosue ect.... but never to young to dream)

Attachments

• dd0accfa-bbb3-11df-89b6-00144feab49a.jpg
    dd0accfa-bbb3-11df-89b6-00144feab49a.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 217
  • Log-Home-Floor-Plans-Sierra-Point.jpg
    Log-Home-Floor-Plans-Sierra-Point.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 218
  • wisconsin_log_cabin_exterior_2_s.jpg
    wisconsin_log_cabin_exterior_2_s.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 216
  • stock-photo-house-near-lake-30786691.jpg
    stock-photo-house-near-lake-30786691.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 222

rmk 800 144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love to camp... (Be around a lake)... I was wondering what would be better/cheaper in the long run? A camper or lakeside house/cabin??? Opinions will be great... (yes im young to buy the hosue ect.... but never to young to dream)

Nice real nice I would go on the lake

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
even if you can afford to buy a house like in the pictures you show you better have a small fortune to pay for the property taxes. A have a couple friends who each have a house on Okanagan lake and Shuswap and they pay around $12- $15,000 a year in taxes. So your lake front better be off the beaten path :d

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
even if you can afford to buy a house like in the pictures you show you better have a small fortune to pay for the property taxes. A have a couple friends who each have a house on Okanagan lake and Shuswap and they pay around $12- $15,000 a year in taxes. So your lake front better be off the beaten path :d

and Kootenay Lake, near Nelson, has taxes in that range. $1000+/month for taxes is just for the rich and famous.

Sure hard to dream about $1-2 million dollar houses and then in the next breath talk about a trailer or RV......

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy property young man and buy it young. thirty years from now when that trailer is in the junkpile that property will worth a fortune.

CountryRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you'll be old and still dreaming with a dream like that haha

Dude this is coming from a guy that sat on his ass and wasted his life!!!

quotes from u
time for a god damn brew as far as i'm concerned..... while i waste my life
take a year off, do something... or do like i did, sit on your ass ..... either way, you get to know yourself a lot better

So now tell me with a straight face to keep dreaming...

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You asked so I'm going to tell. What I would do if I was you young feller is finish school, get a good job, buy a trailer (because you will be able to afford one if you have a good job). Play with the trailer for several years while your saving your money for that big lake property. If later in life you decide the lake property isn't for you then you can buy 500k motor home and tour in style. :cool:

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You asked so I'm going to tell. What I would do if I was you young feller is finish school, get a good job, buy a trailer (because you will be able to afford one if you have a good job). Play with the trailer for several years while your saving your money for that big lake property. If later in life you decide the lake property isn't for you then you can buy 500k motor home and tour in style. :cool:

I disagree. Buy property. They make trailers everyday, as far as I know they aint making any more land. Except for maybe Hawaii and Iceland. And like Scott said in thirty years your trailer will be a pile of chit but property never depreciates.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score

and Kootenay Lake, near Nelson, has taxes in that range. $1000+/month for taxes is just for the rich and famous.

Sure hard to dream about $1-2 million dollar houses and then in the next breath talk about a trailer or RV......

I have an Aunt & Uncle that have a lake front house in Inveremere(sp). They have been there for 40+ yrs, and their property tax is higher than their morgtage has ever been.
A few years ago.... about 5. The chitty little shed on a piece of land behind them (not lake front) sold for 3 Mill

I did buy a house that was lake front when I was 27, out at Sandy beach, NW of Edmonton, It was a full time job in the summer after work to keep it up. It was worth the life exprience, but you do need more than a single income to enjoy life off of the property. jmo

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Buy property young man and buy it young. thirty years from now when that trailer is in the junkpile that property will worth a fortune.

I disagree. Buy property. They make trailers everyday, as far as I know they aint making any more land. Except for maybe Hawaii and Iceland. And like Scott said in thirty years your trailer will be a pile of chit but property never depreciates.

Sorry Scotts & Pipes,

But not all property appreciates. I'm 43, and have been in and with new home construction since i was 14. I have seen land that was to be the King of King's, but even still to this day it is undeveloped.
95% of the time both of them (Scotts & Pipes) are right with what they are saying, and I'll agree that you can't go wrong with buying now. I have 1.25 acres in the city of Calgary that could be a gold mine in 10 yrs, or could be a 5% flop. Again, jmo

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really think the days of making big money on lake front property are gone unless it is at some obscure lake that is newly being developed. Not many folks can afford to spend 3 mill on a lake front property these days. Unless the young fella is going to be a successful lawyer or something. Hmm guess you never know.

Top Bottom