Places to buy steel

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Building my own sled deck right away here, got lots of time and need a lot of special things that no deck company has. I'm just wondering were I would find some 1/8" plate 4" wide, need 20' of it or so. I usually go to general steel but I am almost positive they won't have it any smaller then 12" width, and micknich is well....rich. I know I can get all the tubing I need from general steel though, just not sure about the plate. Anyone know of other places? Used steel would be better for the price actually. Or anyone know if the southside general steel still has used steel? I know the west ed doesn't anymore.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Price Steel,Russel Metals

Thanks, I guess you'd know were a good place is hah. Never been to either of them, do they have a problem with someone who isn't a company buying stuff? Do you know how their prices compare? I get a bit of a discount at general, so not sure if I should try to buy as much as I can there, or just buy all from one of the ones you said.

win

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Metal supper market will have what you need, not the best prices in town.

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If General's price is the best, you could just get a shop to shear it to the width you need.

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go to a local fab shop and ask,chances are they will have material and maybe shear and brake the parts how you want

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea I though of that, but for a shop to want to bother with cutting some metal, i'm sure it has to be worth $50 easy plus the cost of metal. I have the means to cut it myself just not overly great to make sure it is really strait and if I can would rather buy it that size already. If I can't find it I will just use square tubing, but plate would be nicer and save me a ton of work.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maple Leaf Metals on 50 St ( and 68 ave approx) has a varitey of new and used structural steel flat bar and tubing etc. . They will cut and sell you what you need (small or big orders etc) . The only thing is that they like to deal in cash for small steel sales ( and the will give you a receipt - it is all good and on the up and up). They have sold me carbon steel flat bar 4" wide and 3/16" thick in the past.
Good luck :beer:

Last edited:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I ended up phoning for prices this morning and when I found out how much steel has tanked I just bought tubing instead of the plate. $1.10 a ft for 1 1/4" 1/8" wall square tubing, couldn't believe it :beer:

Should have my sled deck built for well under $200 :)

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Metal heads in Nisku has good prices

Top Bottom