pipeline snow conditions

swabby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
still early , you halfto realy be careful lots of landmines that are just covered enough to trick a guy (took out out a set of a arms last weak in the notch) :beer:

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode the pipeline once late last year and have a few questions about early season riding as thinking of a early Dec ride this year:

1. Is it really rocky underneath like the previous post by swabby states, where it needs a 4 - 6' base to cover everything up? I would have thought being a work area years ago they would have cleared all boulders, etc.

2. Are the creek crossings tough in the early season? We rode i think in April and they were starting to open up. Not sure what they are like early season though

3. That monster hill/poke you have to go up to get to Wranglers. Is it fairly easy with 2 - 3' of powder to get up? Or is this where everyone usually makes it to and then everyone sits and watches attempts? It was pretty steep from what i remember.....

Thanks
:)

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
i have done tons of quadding in summer up there and know the spread on the pipeline job real good. they did have it cleared nice when they were working but placed large rocks strategicaly to keep vehicles off the right of way. if you are carefull u should have no issues getting up there right now. just dont jump off the nice lumps in the snow if you know what i mean. also i did push some rocks over that people had been stacking right in the middle of where you would most likely sled on the pipeline in late fall. if you are nervous about the big hills there are bypass roads around all of them, but that takes the fun out of it.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
the hardest part of that climb is the creek right before it. its not that bad. just take your time.

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you park at tin shack and there are a ton of rigs parked on the side of the road, is there an area further up to turn around? When i was there in April there was maybe 3 other rigs and it was easy. But if there were alot more vehicles say on a powder weekend im not sure a guy could turned around so easily.

btw - i dont remember seeing a bypass road around that big climb on the pipeline?

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you park at tin shack and there are a ton of rigs parked on the side of the road, is there an area further up to turn around? When i was there in April there was maybe 3 other rigs and it was easy. But if there were alot more vehicles say on a powder weekend im not sure a guy could turned around so easily.

btw - i dont remember seeing a bypass road around that big climb on the pipeline?

We just back our rigs around right there...if you want to turn around its a few km up and no better than backing into the shack area and turning around..there is a by pass around that hill..just before you start dropping down to the creek the trail breaks off to the left...a good route even if guys go up the hill...lots of time the snow is deep and fresh in there..

swabby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that steep hill is called leach mountain and its a fun little climb but easy with now a day sleds used to climb that with the old 89 cougar 500 136 , but any way the creeks are easily doable but there is a short bypass around leach ,trail also is ok , use caution if riding in middle of pipeline thats where the big nuggets and pipeline valves and rissers and metal caution signs are and ive seen many wrecked sleds because of them, also a short ride from inn on the border (trail is usualy pretty good to) if staging area is full @tin shack :beer:

Top Bottom