Outlander XT Dead after washing?????

EricW

Reaction score
09 Outlander XT. Gave her a bath with wrag and garden hose and now she has electrical issues. The battery is up, I cleaned and dried the key/ignition. It lights up with key but as soon as you hit the starter or even the winch it just clicks and wont even try to spin. Anyone else had this? Do I need to dry and die electric grease some connections somewhere?

Any help is appreciated. EW

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
two big fuses at the rear by the battery. They get corroded. Pull 'em out, clean with sandpaper, add dielectric grease and re-install.

EricW

Reaction score
So I took a look back by the battery. Solenoid and all connections looked good. I saw 2 harnasses that went to what looked like a regulator mounted to the right of the battery and outside the frame rail. The upper was a 2 wire and the lower was a 3 wire if I remember right. They had the water seal type connectors and all looked good. Greases and replaced. On the inside of that was a 3 mini fuse holder with a rubber cap that was clip mounted inside the frame rail. All 3 mini fuses looked good. Greased and replaced.

I didn't see anything that looked like 2 big fuses as descrribed above. I removed the plastic cover under there with 2 rubber grommet push dart connections and looked behind it. Nothing there either but the regulator mentioned above.

Am I missing something or are you guys referring to the two harness connections to what looks like a black, finned regulator?

It seems to start and run fine now after drying out, what about the coded key thing, is it ever a problem. Shot some quick dry cleaner and a blast of air in there as well.

Thanks again. EW

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weird that you used low pressure washing to have that problem. My Quad is so coated with mud and grass etc that I have to pressure wash my unit a lot.Strange, FYI I always leave my key in while washing just to keep the keyway dry. I have an 07 max xt with the coded key as well.:confused:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I took a look back by the battery. Solenoid and all connections looked good. I saw 2 harnasses that went to what looked like a regulator mounted to the right of the battery and outside the frame rail. The upper was a 2 wire and the lower was a 3 wire if I remember right. They had the water seal type connectors and all looked good. Greases and replaced. On the inside of that was a 3 mini fuse holder with a rubber cap that was clip mounted inside the frame rail. All 3 mini fuses looked good. Greased and replaced.

I didn't see anything that looked like 2 big fuses as descrribed above. I removed the plastic cover under there with 2 rubber grommet push dart connections and looked behind it. Nothing there either but the regulator mentioned above.

Am I missing something or are you guys referring to the two harness connections to what looks like a black, finned regulator?

It seems to start and run fine now after drying out, what about the coded key thing, is it ever a problem. Shot some quick dry cleaner and a blast of air in there as well.

Thanks again. EW
The little fuses inside the big plastic holder deal is what I was talking about....

Top Bottom