Orange Dust

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New to me 2019 Summit. Went for first ride and after took the hood off and noticed some orange dust all through the belly pan. Wasn't there before the ride had the pipe off and cleaned the belly pan this fall. Any thoughts? I know it had a coolant leak that was fixed under warranty with previous owner perhaps just some dried coolant? Only thing I can think of.
20211206_130948.jpg

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have an exhaust leak and it’s from the pipe? My 2013 Polaris Pro 800 leaves a trail of orange in the snow on the first ride each and every season… I’ve never seen it from any other sled I’ve owned..

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two of those this spring. The tuned pipe has a support bracket underneath you don't see unless you turn it over. By design it is cheesy as it is riveted to the cheesy Aluminum shells. All is well with the factory muffler that supports it self properly, a muffler that is relying on the tuned pipe for support....stresses the tuned pipe support bracket you don't see.

The orange dust comes from the failing of the brackets & shells underneath. The poor fit of the cooker can aggravates the condition.

Well designed properly supported aftermarket mufflers don't have this issue.

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have an exhaust leak and it’s from the pipe? My 2013 Polaris Pro 800 leaves a trail of orange in the snow on the first ride each and every season… I’ve never seen it from any other sled I’ve owned..
Perhaps that could be. Maybe time for some new donuts. Never thought of that

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two of those this spring. The tuned pipe has a support bracket underneath you don't see unless you turn it over. By design it is cheesy as it is riveted to the cheesy Aluminum shells. All is well with the factory muffler that supports it self properly, a muffler that is relying on the tuned pipe for support....stresses the tuned pipe support bracket you don't see.

The orange dust comes from the failing of the brackets & shells underneath. The poor fit of the cooker can aggravates the condition.

Well designed properly supported aftermarket mufflers don't have this issue.
Looks to be coming from under the shell. Will shake it all loose on the next few rides sure makes a hell of a mess though

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My guess is this sled was drown. The insulation was soaked and never properly taken apart and dried! Drown my SummitX 670 back in the day and that was what mine looked like.

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve gotten this from Polaris sleds. For me it was the failing of the insulation. A few rides after the orange dust the alum cover would rattle. I would Just get a different pipe. I had good luck with good condition used pipes.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
someone didn't mix the DOO LAID properly, and it got spit out! sell it quick

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly just looks like exhaust dust. My 2013 Pro would always eventually have a Little bit of that after every season, just wipe clean and put away. Same with my current 2016 M8000, just had the hood off and small amounts of residue from the pipe as it oxidizes being a non-coated metal that gets wet/heated up so frequently.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like was said in recent comments its from the packing around the pipe deteriorating from moisture rust and vibration. Seen it many times on higher mileage sleds at the store when they came in for service.

Top Bottom