Oilers sign Taylor Hall

new_nytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when is calgary going to smarten up and get some new talent?

As soon as they suck every year like the Oilers and get the #1 overall pick three years in a row. Without a goalie and some better dmen the Oilers might make in 4 #1 picks in a row. I thought the Oilers should have traded the #1 pick this year for a proven dman or goalie and moved down in the draft to take dman Ryan Murray with a later pick. They don't need Yakupov with all the young talent they have now.

IMO Eberle is going to be twice the hockey player as Hall if he's not already. And RNH looks like he's the real deal, but like Hall he's slight so probably injury prone as well.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Oilers. In fact they are my second favorite NHL team from Alberta.

new_nytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Iginla = 67 points in 82 games @ 35 years and $7 mill

Hall = 53 points in 61 games @ 20 years and $6 starting in 2013/14 season.... 3.75 million this season....

You pick.....

Iginla = 67 points in 82 games @ 35 years and $7 mill for 1 more year

Horcoff = 34 points in 81 games @ 33 years at $5.5 mill for 3 more years

You pick....

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
your right Horcoff would have provided a much better contrast .... although EVERYONE knows his contract sucks.... not trying to knock Iginla's contract just using his contract as a relative comparison. Iginla is one hell of a player, hopefully Hall will prove to share his longevity... Horcoff is not even in the same conversation

Iginla = 67 points in 82 games @ 35 years and $7 mill for 1 more year

Horcoff = 34 points in 81 games @ 33 years at $5.5 mill for 3 more years

You pick....

new_nytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your right Horcoff would have provided a much better contrast .... although EVERYONE knows his contract sucks.... not trying to knock Iginla's contract just using his contract as a relative comparison. Iginla is one hell of a player, hopefully Hall will prove to share his longevity... Horcoff is not even in the same conversation

The Iginla contact doesn't both me too much as its for only 1 more year. It's the Bouwmeester deal that's the elephant in the room on the Flames. Hey the Oilers need a dman, how about Eberle for JBo straight across?

Heres to hoping both the Flames and Oilers make the playoffs this year! It would be awesome if they played each other in the playoffs like the good old days.

I think Iginla's situation in Calgary is alot like Ryan Smyth's was in Edmonton a few years ago. Iginla has done alot for the Flames and Calgary in general. He's a great leader and ambassador to the community. Sure his career is on the downside, but I couldn't imagine him playing for anyone else. I remember watching the sports highlights when Ryan Smyth left Edmonton a few years ago and seeing how emotional he was. Rembember when he came back on the opposing team and the crowd gave him a standing ovation and he was practically bawling on the bench? I'm glad that he finally came back home. Iginla = Flames just like Smyth = Oilers.

The future definitely look brighter in Edmonton for a few years. Depending on salary cap they may have trouble retaining all their players down the road, but time will tell.

As for the Flames, I'm hoping that Hudler and Cervenka (spelling) can be impact players. Not sure about the Wideman deal. And dare is say Baertschi for the Calder this year?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In some ways I am surprised by this contract. Averages at $6 per year maybe slightly front loaded. I would expect Eberles contract to be announced Monday. Ebs may go 5 or 6 years for about the same per year.

As much of an Oil fan that I am I haven't ever been a fan of Hall. He plays with an edge but it is reckless at times and in the big league that will mean injuries. We have already seen it. I think I would be happier seeing 5 years but who knows what other items influence the contracts like age of player, bonuses, current barginning on the future players union. There are so many clauses people never see.

What I do still feel is that Yakupov will be the real deal. If there is a season this year Edmontons front end will be cocked and loaded. What Nail (now nicknamed N64) brings if it does work out that way is the ability for Hall to be a moveable asset to another team.

Would that ever happen? Hard to say. Atleast it wasn't a stupid contract like Minny signed for two top D. Or Pittsburg for Cindy. The guy is already looking to have a shorter career.

Edmontons needs are very well known. A true starting netminder and a top.pairing D. Honestly if that's all any team really needed would it be a bad thing? Their bottom 6 could be tweaked but are still decent bottom 6 forwards who can kill a few penalties.

If they could have moved their number one pick for some top D they would have. But a number one pick is still a quality future NHL player. There is no point in moving that pick for anyone unproven or someone who wants a bazillion dollars for ever. They set out to rebuild through drafting. It is working. Wouldn't hurt to draft high again in 2013. Losing sucks but when you hit rock bottom it takes awhile to get back up there.

There might be a move or two over the next two weeks as well. The contract negotiations are screwing the off-season up. If there were any real assets to move besides the untouchables I think it would have already happend.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Eberle signed for 6 year 36 mill............ 2 down....

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to know if the "Tom" is an oilers fan................HeHeHe
Just need a big center now...........Ebbs is a game breaker...............

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Eberle signed for 6 year 36 mill............ 2 down....

just like I said would happen...although took a few more days to get the deal done.

Now...I love hockey, but the best thing would be for the season to tank and these kids get stronger.

aircanam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 great signings in the last week!! So much for all the people saying the kids would jump first chance they got.....I'd hate to lose the whole season though, a shortened one would be great for the Oil, veterans would still have the legs and not run outta gas after the all star break. Would give the kids a legit shot at some playoff experience.

Top Bottom