oil??

2010rmk800144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so i finally fixed the bugs outta my kfx 400 and now i cant seem to find my oil level, i have put like a litre and a bit into the machine and no matter if run it for 2 minutes or 20 minutes then let it sit for a couple and check it theres no oil on the dipstick, today i was trying to figure it out and its not leaking anywhere or anything and i mean i put quite a bit in there cuz there was smoke puffing the odd time out of the pipe so i take it that means too much oil?? but still nothing on the dipstick, i know some people talking about a oil valve or something somewhere that might be clogged, but i have no idea, this happen to anyone ever or does anyone have advice?

ghglenn

Reaction score
From the internet:

2003 Kawasaki KFX400 - The oil tank has a dip stick.
After draining the oil and changing the oil filter, fill the oil tank to the top line of the dipstick.
Check the oil level with the dipstick resting on the threads (don't screw it in to check the level).
Re-install the dip stick.
Start and run the quad for a couple of minutes to let the oil circulate throughout the engine (the oil tank lubes every part of the engine).
Turn off the quad and re-check the oil level - add more if needed.
Kawasaki's web site recommends 10w40 approx 2qts.
Use quality brand name 4 stroke motor oil.

You really need to buy a full shop manual, should run about $35. Has all the specs, how-to do maintenance, rebuild stuff, etc... Worth every penny. Can also try downloading it from this link free manuals - Kawasaki ATV Forum. Happy hunting.

2010rmk800144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i bought a manual and i also purchased that internet copy from the link u posted the other day, neither of them have answers to my problems in it

ghglenn

Reaction score
On my manual, I have to run the motor for ten minutes, shut it down and let the oil sit for 3 more. Then take out dipstick, clean, replace (without threading it back in) and check the level at that time. I am uncertain of anything that would cause it to not return to the oil tank after it has been ran and warmed up...? I would also suggest for your first oil change as the new owner, to take the oil tank off completely, and remove the screen inside it to make sure it is free of any metal shavings, gook, etc.

2010rmk800144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i didnt do the complete oil change but i decided to drain out the oil and measure exactly how much was in there, so i did and there was about 2750 ml that was drained out without the oil filtre, they say only 2000ml for an oil change without the filter and 2200 with the filter for changing, so i put 2000ml back in of brand new stuff, started it up let it run for about 5 mins, turned it off, let it sit for about 3 minutes, and pulled the stick and nothing.... i am now at a total loss..... is it possible i have the wrong dipstick or anything like that

Med1ogre

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where did you drain the oil from? the oil tank? or motor? or both?

2010rmk800144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i drained it from the reseviour and the bottom ot the engine just like it shows in the manual

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Put more oil in it

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

2010rmk800144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there was already 2800 ml in it and it still was showing nothing, why would i add more if the capacitie is only 2200ml

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gotta be hiding somewhere, if you were burning it you wouldn't see where you were going. No excess oil on the quad like it was spewing it?:confused:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Could there be a bigger after market type oil tank on it???Maybe???Is there even such a thing??Have you filled it to the full mark on the dipstick??How much does it take?

2010rmk800144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no the oil resevior is stock, and i havnt no but the engine is only supposed to hold like 2.2 litres and i drained 2.7 out of it, and there was nothing showing on the dipstick lol

Top Bottom