Oil yer box

Semi Extreme

Reaction score
Have you ever thought to spray foam filter oil in the air box of your sled ?

I have been doing this regularly and its amazing how much crap sticks to the walls inside the box. To think an unsprayed box lets in so much belt and brake dust into the motor would'nt you think that all that dust is harmfull to an engine and do you think this idea helps prolong the life of your engine ?

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
ive never actualy seen the inside of an air box, and was wondering how it filters it? can some one explain would like to expand my smarts on sleds

Semi Extreme

Reaction score
ive never actualy seen the inside of an air box, and was wondering how it filters it? can some one explain would like to expand my smarts on sleds

Well for me it all started with a warranty issue I had with My rebiult engine in my Chevy truck. I had the engine rebiult and Installed a K&N filter. After 6000km's on the engine it started to burn oil and the truck went in to find out why...The rebuilder did a compression,leak down test and found two cylinders were low and decided to do an oil analysis(spell check) and the results came back as "silicon and sodium contamination from road dirt". Well... after a long warranty Issue arguement and a lot of research it was found that it was never an issue with dirt that killed the engine but the compression was way to high for the applicationand the engine was rebuilt under warranty.
Anyway this lesson got me to thinking that dirt or dust is a bad thing in any engine and now I am very anal about keeping air intake as clean as possible (any dirtbiker knows this) and came up with the idea of using spray filter oil to line the air box of my sleds.
If you still have the stock air box in your sled and you never think about looking inside and maybe taking a clean rag and giving it a wipe you will be amazed how dirty it is even after a few rides. Drive belts wear quite fast In hi perf. sleds and where does all that dust go ? well my guess is everywhere and there is a lot of suction going on around the intake of your sled right ?
So most sleds I have seen have an air box and most you can open up to clean them out so why not use a little filter oil in there ? I would say it acts like fly paper...the dust comes in and swirls about as it comes in and any dust that is flying in there has a good chance of sticking to the inside walls before it enters the carbs.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are no filters in sleds and I have pulled a couple apart that have sludge in them after the cranks have failed. Yes your guess is right and lots of crap gets sucked into the motor shortening its life. Spraying the airbox interior and your intake foam with filter oil gets rid of the majority of unwanted debris. Just remember to clean out your foam like you do in your bike cause it plugs up the same.

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
humm, sounds like a plan for the sled, i always did that to my bike incase any dirt got past the filter, thanks guys

ackid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone know if the fabric on speedwerx cold air intakes will act as a filter for fine particles? (brake, and belt dust) or snow?

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didnt think of it, but next season im gonna spray the inside of my quads airbox walls and see how much debris it picks up. Much like u Im very particular about my toys, I dont let them sit any longer than a day or 2 Dirty. Rust is the Devil!

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How would belt dust get into the air box? Mine is under the windshield by the guages.... Mine doesn't need to be oiled as the carbs tend to spit out some of the oil/gas back into the airbox... so after a ride or two it's soiled pretty good, but all i ever see is oil when i wipe it off... it doesn't seem to collect anything???

Top Bottom